Radon mitigation using an air cleaner
- 285 Downloads
Room experiments were conducted to investigate the effects of an air cleaner on radon mitigation. Radon concentration, equilibrium equivalent radon concentration and unattached fraction were measured during the experiments. Two types of filtration were tested using the air cleaner which has a high efficiency particulate air filter (HEPA-filter) and a deodorizing activated carbon (carbon-filter). One is the filtration with the HEPA-filter plus carbon-filter and the other is the filtration with only the HEPA-filter. The effective doses from radon progeny were significantly decreased. Both filtration methods were effective for the mitigation of effective dose due to radon progeny.
KeywordsRadon Effective Dose Control Case Radon Concentration Thoron
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.UNSCEAR, Sources and Effects of Ionizing Radiation. Report to the General Assembly with Scientific Annexes, United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, New York, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.D. B. Henschel, Radiat. Prot. Dosim., 56 (1994) 21.Google Scholar
- 4.F. J. Offermann, R. G. Sextro, W. J. Fisk, D. T. Grimsrud, W. W. Nazaroff, A. V. Nero, K. L. Revzan, J. Yater, Control of Respirable Particles in Indoor Air with Portable Air Cleaners, Report LBL-17939, Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, Berkeley, California, 1984.Google Scholar
- 5.S. Tokonami, T. Matsuzawa, T. Ishikawa, T. Iimoto, H. Yonehara, T. Yamada, Radioisotopes, 52 (2003) 285.Google Scholar
- 7.T. Ishikawa, Y. Yasuoka, S. Tokonami, H. Takahashi, H. Suda, J. Radioanal. Nucl. Chem., 279 (2009) in press. doi:10.1007/s10967-008-7340-2.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Tokonami, Radiat. Prot. Dosim., 81 (1999) 285.Google Scholar
- 9.NRC (National Research Council), Comparative Dosimetry of Radon in Mines and Homes, National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., 1991.Google Scholar
- 10.Japan Meteorological Agency: Meteorological Information, http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/etrn/index.php, access: 30 July 2008 (in Japanese).
- 11.J. Porstendörfer, Radiat. Prot. Dosim., 94 (2001) 365.Google Scholar