Enhancing the performances of polybenzoxazines by modulating hydrogen bonds
- 94 Downloads
This work aims at enhancing the performances of polybenzoxazines by increasing crosslink density through introducing hydrogen bond acceptor. Additional hydrogen bond acceptor, such as 4,4′-bipyridine (Bpy), not only decreases the polymerization temperatures of bisphenol A based benzoxazines, but also modulates the hydrogen bonds. After introducing Bpy, the formation of Type I -OH···N hydrogen bonds is suppressed, while Type II -OH···N hydrogen bonds form between polybenzoxazines and Bpy. The decrease of Type I -OH···N hydrogen bonds is beneficial to the polymerization and increases the crosslink density, which improve the properties of polybenzoxazines. And the results show that, compared with neat resin, the char yield, tensile strength and toughness of the blends are enhanced. We believe this novel insight into the roles of hydrogen bonds is anticipated to help researchers explore more polybenzoxazines with excellent mechanical properties.
KeywordsPolybenzoxazine 4,4′-bipyridine Hydrogen bonds Crosslink density Mechanical properties Thermal stability
This work is supported by the National Science Foundation of China (Project No. 21204053) and Outstanding Youth Foundation of Sichuan University (Project No. 2015SCU04A07).
- 7.Shen SB, Ishida H (1996) Development and characterization of high-performance polybenzoxazine composites. PolymCompos 17:710–719Google Scholar
- 9.Yang P, Wang X, Gu Y (2012) Copolymers of phenolphthalein-aniline-based benzoxazine and biphenyl epoxy: curing behavior and thermal and mechanical properties. J Polym Res 19:9901Google Scholar
- 15.Xia YQ, Yang P, Zhu RQ, Zhang CL, Gu Y (2014) Blends of 4,4′-diaminodiphenyl methane-based benzoxazine and polysulfone: morphologies and properties. J Polym Res 21:387Google Scholar
- 20.Hariharan A, Srinivasan K, Murthy C, Alagar M (2018) Synthesis and characterization of a novel class of low temperature cure Benzoxazines. J Polym Res 25:20Google Scholar
- 21.Zegaoui A, Derradji M, Ma RK, Cai WA, Liu WB, Wang J, Dayo AQ, Song S, Zhang LL (2018) High-performance polymeric materials with greatly improved mechanical and thermal properties from cyanate ester/benzoxazine resin reinforced by silane-treated basalt fibers. J Appl Polym Sci 2018:46283CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Zhang HC, Li M, Deng YY, Zhang CX, Ran QC, Gu Y (2014) A novel polybenzoxazine containing styrylpyridine structure via the Knoevenagel reaction. J Appl Polym Sci 131:40823Google Scholar
- 37.Accelrys (2011) Materials studio software. http://accerlryscom/products Accessed October 2011Google Scholar