Normal Approximation of Poisson Functionals in Kolmogorov Distance
- 162 Downloads
Peccati, Solè, Taqqu, and Utzet recently combined Stein’s method and Malliavin calculus to obtain a bound for the Wasserstein distance of a Poisson functional and a Gaussian random variable. Convergence in the Wasserstein distance always implies convergence in the Kolmogorov distance at a possibly weaker rate. But there are many examples of central limit theorems having the same rate for both distances. The aim of this paper was to show this behavior for a large class of Poisson functionals, namely so-called U-statistics of Poisson point processes. The technique used by Peccati et al. is modified to establish a similar bound for the Kolmogorov distance of a Poisson functional and a Gaussian random variable. This bound is evaluated for a U-statistic, and it is shown that the resulting expression is up to a constant the same as it is for the Wasserstein distance.
KeywordsCentral limit theorem Malliavin calculus Poisson point process Stein’s method U-statistic Wiener–Itô chaos expansion
Mathematics Subject ClassificationPrimary: 60F05 60H07 Secondary: 60G55
Large parts of this paper were written during a stay at Case Western Reserve University (February to July 2012) supported by the German Academic Exchange Service. The author thanks Elizabeth Meckes, Giovanni Peccati, Matthias Reitzner, and Christoph Thäle for some valuable hints and helpful discussions.
- 2.Chen, L., Shao, Q.: Stein’s Method for Normal Approximation. An Introduction to Stein’s Method, pp. 1–59, Singapore University Press, Singapore (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Eichelsbacher, P., Thäle, C.: New Berry–Esseen Bounds for Non-Linear Functionals of Poisson Random Measures. arXiv:1310.1595 (2013)
- 4.Lachièze-Rey, R., Peccati, G.: Fine Gaussian fluctuations on the Poisson space. I: contractions, cumulants and geometric random graphs. Electron. J. Probab. 18, Article 32 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Last, G.: Stochastic Analysis for Poisson Processes. arXiv:1405.4416 (2014)
- 7.Last, G., Peccati, G., Schulte, M.: Normal approximation on Poisson spaces: Mehler’s formula, second order Poincaré inequalitites and stabilization. arXiv:1401.7568 (2014)
- 10.Nualart, D., Vives, J.: Anticipative Calculus for the Poisson Process Based on the Fock Space. Lecture Notes in Math. 1426, pp. 154–165 (1990)Google Scholar
- 15.Reitzner, M., Schulte, M., Thäle, C.: Limit theory for the Gilbert graph. arXiv:1312.4861 (2013)
- 17.Stein, C.: A bound for the error in the normal approximation to the distribution of a sum of dependent random variables. In: Proceedings of the Sixth Berkley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics Probability 2, University of California Press, Berkley (1972)Google Scholar