The Small-Mass Limit for Langevin Dynamics with Unbounded Coefficients and Positive Friction
- 207 Downloads
A class of Langevin stochastic differential equations is shown to converge in the small-mass limit under very weak assumptions on the coefficients defining the equation. The convergence result is applied to three physically realizable examples where the coefficients defining the Langevin equation for these examples grow unboundedly either at a boundary, such as a wall, and/or at the point at infinity. This unboundedness violates the assumptions of previous limit theorems in the literature. The main result of this paper proves convergence for such examples.
KeywordsSmall-mass limit Smoluchowski–Kramers approximation Locally Lipschitz coefficients
DH and SH would like to acknowledge support from Drake University and Iowa State University. GV was partially funded by a Marie Curie Career Integration Grant (PCIG11GA-2012-321726) and a Distinguished Young Scientist award of the Turkish Academy of Sciences (TÜBA).
- 1.Derjaguin, B.: Theory of the stability of strongly charged lyophobic sols and the adhesion of strongly charged particles in solutions of electrolytes. Acta Physicochim. USSR 14, 633–662 (1941)Google Scholar
- 5.Freidlin, M.I., Wentzell, A.D.: Random perturbations of dynamical systems, Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften [Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences], vol. 260, 3rd edn. Springer, Heidelberg (2012). 1979. doi: 10.1007/978-3-642-25847-3. Translated from the Russian original by Joseph Szücs
- 11.Lançon, P., Batrouni, G., Lobry, L., Ostrowsky, N.: Drift without flux: Brownian walker with a space-dependent diffusion coefficient. Europhys. Lett. 54, 28–34 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Ortega, J.M.: Matrix Theory. The University Series in Mathematics. Plenum Press, New York (1987). A second courseGoogle Scholar
- 15.Rey-Bellet, L.: Ergodic properties of Markov processes. In: Open Quantum Systems. II. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 1881, pp. 1–39. Springer, Berlin (2006)Google Scholar
- 18.Verwey, E.J.W., Overbeek, J.T.G., Overbeek, J.T.G.: Theory of the stability of lyophobic colloids. Courier Corp. (1999)Google Scholar
- 19.Volpe, G., Helden, L., Brettschneider, T., Wehr, J., Bechinger, C.: Influence of noise on force measurements. Phys. Rev. Lett. 104, 170602 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Volpe, G., Petrov, D.: Torque detection using brownian fluctuations. Phys. Rev. Lett. 97(21), 210603 (2006)Google Scholar
- 21.Weinan, E., Vanden-Eijnden, E.: Transition-path theory and path-finding algorithms for the study of rare events. Phys. Chem. 61, 391–420 (2010)Google Scholar