The triangle scheduling problem
This paper introduces a novel scheduling problem, where jobs occupy a triangular shape on the time line. This problem is motivated by scheduling jobs with different criticality levels. A measure is introduced, namely the binary tree ratio. It is shown that the Greedy algorithm solves the problem to optimality when the binary tree ratio of the input instance is at most 2. We also show that the problem is unary NP-hard for instances with binary tree ratio strictly larger than 2 and provide a quasi-polynomial time approximation scheme. The approximation ratio of Greedy on general instances is shown to be between 1.5 and 1.05.
KeywordsScheduling Mixed-criticality Packing
This work is partially supported by PHC VAN GOGH 2015 Projet 33669TC, the Grants FONDECYT 11140566, ANR-15-CE40-0015, and by the Project AI and Reasoning CZ.02.1.01/0.0/0.0/15_003/0000466 as well as by the European Regional Development Fund. Christian Konrad is supported by Icelandic Research Fund Grants 120032011 and 152679-051.
- Baruah, S., Li, H., & Stougie, L. (2010). Towards the design of certifiable mixed-criticality systems. In Proceedings of the 2010 16th IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium, RTAS ’10 (pp. 13–22). Washington, DC, USA: IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- Burns, A., & Davis, R. (2015). Mixed criticality systems: A review. Technical Report, 7th edn, University of York.Google Scholar
- Chou, A. (2016). NP-hard triangle packing problems. In Research Science Institute Summer Program for Highschool Students, January 2016.Google Scholar
- Dvorak, J., & Hanzalek, Z. (2014). Multi-variant time constrained flexray static segment scheduling. In Factory Communication Systems (WFCS), 2014 10th IEEE Workshop on (pp. 1–8). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Garey, M. R., & Johnson, D. S. (1979). Computers and intractability: guide to NP-completeness. WH Freeman & Co.Google Scholar
- Gu, C., Guan, N., Deng, Q., & Yi, W. (2013). Improving OCBP-based scheduling for mixed-criticality sporadic task systems. In 2013 IEEE 19th International Conference on Embedded and Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications (pp. 247–256). Aug 2013.Google Scholar
- Hanzálek, Z., & Pácha, T. (1998). Use of the fieldbus systems in an academic setting. In Proceedings of the Third IEEE Real-Time Systems Education Workshop, RTEW ’98 (pp. 93–97). Washington, DC, USA: IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- Park, T., & Kim, S. (2011). Dynamic scheduling algorithm and its schedulability analysis for certifiable dual-criticality systems. In Proceedings of the Ninth ACM International Conference on Embedded Software, EMSOFT ’11 (pp. 253–262). New York, NY, USA: ACM.Google Scholar
- Socci, D., Poplavko, P., Bensalem, S., & Bozga, M. (2013). Mixed critical earliest deadline first. In 2013 25th Euromicro Conference on Real-Time Systems (pp. 93–102), July 2013.Google Scholar
- Stock, M. (2014). Canaerospace specification, technical document from Michael Stock Flight Systems.Google Scholar
- Vestal, S. (2007). Preemptive scheduling of multi-criticality systems with varying degrees of execution time assurance. In Real-Time Systems Symposium, 2007. RTSS 2007. 28th IEEE International (pp. 239–243). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Wilson, M. (2016). Robust scheduling in an uncertain environment. Ph.D Thesis, TU Delft, Delft University of Technology.Google Scholar