Aromatic stability energy studies on five-membered heterocyclic C4H4M (M = O, S, Se, Te, NH, PH, AsH and SbH): DFT calculations
- 286 Downloads
Energetic, geometric and magnetic criteria were applied to examine the stability and/or aromatic character for the cyclic molecules C 4 H 4 M (M = O, S, Se, Te, NH, PH, AsH and SbH) at B3LYP/6-311++G** and MP2/6-311++G** levels of theory. The isodesmic reactions and nuclear independent chemical shifts (NICS) calculations were utilized to examine the molecules for energetic and magnetic criteria, respectively. The isodesmic reaction energies reveal that thiophene (C 4 H 4 S, −23.269 kcal/mol) and pyrrole (C 4 H 4 NH, −20.804 kcal/mol) have the greatest aromatic stabilization energies and tellurophene (C 4 H 4 Te, −15.114 kcal/mol) and stibole (C 4 H 4 SbH, −1.169 kcal/mol) have the lowest aromatic stabilization energies in their corresponding groups at MP2/6-311++G**. The NICS calculations confirmed the results obtained through isodesmic reaction energies.
Keywordsaromatic character isodesmic reaction NICS five-membered heterocycle C4H4M
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. I. Minkin, M. N. Glukhovtsev, and B. Ya. Simkin, Aromaticity and Antiaromaticity — Electronic and Structural Aspects, Wiley, New York (1994).Google Scholar
- 5.J. A. Elvidge and L. M. Jackman, J. Chem. Soc., 859–866 (1961).Google Scholar
- 11.P. George, M. Trachtman, C. W. Bock, and A. M. Brett, J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. II, 1222–1227 (1976).Google Scholar
- 12.W. J. Hehre, L. Radom, P. V. R. Schleyer, and J. A. Pople, Ab Initio Molecular Orbital Theory, Wiley, New York (1986).Google Scholar
- 13.P. V. R. Schleyer, C. Maerker, A. Dransfield, et al., J. Am. Chem. Soc., 118, 6317/6318 (1996).Google Scholar
- 15.c) E. Vessally, A. Rezaei, N. Chalyavi, and M. Nikoorazm, J. Chin. Chem. Soc., 54, 1583–1589 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.e) E. Vessally et. al., Chin. J. Inorg. Chem., 24, 631 (2008).Google Scholar
- 16.C. Lee, W. Yang, and R. G. Parr, Phys. Rev., 37B, 785–789 (1988).Google Scholar
- 19.M. J. Frisch, G. W. Trucks, G. E. Schlegel, et. al., Gaussian-98, Revision A.6, Gaussian Inc., Pittsburgh PA (1998).Google Scholar