Evangelical Doctors Belief and Practice: A Case Study of the Wellington Christian Medical Fellowship, New Zealand 1971–1980
- 158 Downloads
This paper presents a critical analysis of the proceedings of the Wellington Christian Medical Fellowship (CMF) during the 1970s. Formation of the CMF, contemporaneous and historical influences, new traditions, and key events are discussed as they arise in the narrative of the case study. Interaction between cultural and religious influences on medical practice is a recurring theme relevant to other bicultural or multicultural nations with significant health inequalities.
KeywordsNew Zealand Treaty of Waitangi Christian Medical doctors
The author would like to acknowledge the support and guidance of Dr Jack Havill, ONZM, in preparing this paper.
- Bird, G. (1853). Medical students [letter]. British Medical Journal. Retrieved November 16, 1853 from http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/s3-1/47/1042.full.pdf.
- Davidson, A. (1991). Christianity in Aotearoa—A history of church and society in New Zealand. Auckland: The New Zealand Education for Ministry Board.Google Scholar
- Davidson, A., & Lineham, P. J. (1989). Transplanted Christianity: Documents illustrating aspects of New Zealand church history (2nd ed.). Palmerston North: The Dunmore Press.Google Scholar
- Entwhistle, S. (2013). A diary of a miracle: A great testimony to the goodness of god. Stewart Entwhistle.Google Scholar
- Johnson, D. (Ed.). (1969). A brief history of the Christian medical societies. London: CMF Publications, for the International Congress of Christian.Google Scholar
- Johnson, D. (1987). The Christian medical fellowship—Its background and history. London: CMF Publications.Google Scholar
- (1853). What can the association do for medical pupils? [letter]. British Medical Journal. Retrieved October 10, 1853 from http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/s3-1/45/1002.3.full.pdf.
- Williams, H. (1979). Personal view. British Medical Journal 1, 1420. Retrieved from http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/1/6175/1420.full.pdf.
- Caleb Tucker [Obituary] (2013). NZMJ. Retrieved from http://journal.nzma.org.nz/journal/126-1369/5519/.
- Forward thinking missionary celebrates centenary [media release]. (2013). Retrieved from http://news.salvationarmy.org.uk/forward-thinking-missionary-celebrates-centenary.
- Ian Hulme-Moir [Obituary]. (1981, Feb 7). BMJ. Retrieved from http://www.bmj.com/content/bmj/282/6262/485.full.pdf.
- Ian Hulme-Moir [Archive Biography]. Retrieved from http://www.ccdhb.org.nz/hhist/staff/Hulme-MoirFI_19611980.html.