Self-assembly of porous Cu structures during steady-state condensation of weakly supersaturated vapors
- 119 Downloads
A new technological approach to the porous layers formation with various structural and morphological forms has been developed on the example of copper. It is based on a copper magnetron sputtering in high-purity argon under near-equilibrium conditions. It has been established that the layers geometrical characteristics can be effectively controlled by varying the discharge power, the deposition temperature, and the negative bias applied to the growth surface. The low supersaturation serves as a prerequisite for the porosity formation and causes the cyclically repeated processes of nucleation on active centers, incomplete intergrowth of the structural fragments and new active centers formation. When the negative bias is applied to the growth surface, the growing crystals are elongated, weakly bound with each other and oriented strictly perpendicularly to the substrate surface.
KeywordsCu porous structures Magnetron sputtering Low supersaturation Structure formation
We thank the group of Prof. H. Giessen (4 Physikalisches Institut, Stuttgart University, Germany) for providing technical opportunity to perform microscopy studies, and Bettina Frank for the technical assistance.
- 33.A. A. Chernov et al., in Modern Crystallography, vol. 3, ed. by B. K. Vainstein, A. A. Chernov, and L. A. Shuvalov (Nauka, Moscow, 1980), p. 7 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 34.R. Glang, in Handbook of Thin Film Technology, vol. 1, ed. by L. Maissel, R. Glang (McGrawHill Hook Company, New York, 1970), p. 9Google Scholar
- 35.B.S. Danylyn, Use of Low-Temperature Plasma to Deposit Thin Films (Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1989). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 36.K.S. Sree Harsha, Principles of Vapor Deposition of Thin Films (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 2006), p. 587Google Scholar
- 37.S.M. Rossnagel, in Handbook of Plasma Processing Technology: Fundamentals, Etching, Deposition, and Surface Interactions, ed. by S.M. Rossnagel, J.J. Cuomo, W.D. Westwood (Noyes Publications, New Jersey, 1990), p. 160Google Scholar
- 38.A.A. Mokrenko, V.I. Perekrestov, YuO Kosminska, J. Nano-Electron. Phys. 2, 40 (2010). (in Russian)Google Scholar