Aluminum distribution in high-silica mordenite
- 331 Downloads
The Al distribution in high-silica mordenite (MOR) zeolites with various Si/Al ratios was investigated by FT-IR spectroscopy in the presence of CD3CN probe molecules and benzene adsorption. Two adsorption bands assigned to CN stretching vibration were observed at 2280–2295 and ≈2315 cm−1, which are due to interaction of CN with acidic hydroxyl groups in the main channels and the side pockets of H-MOR zeolite, respectively. The relative intensity of the peak at 2315 cm−1 increased with an increase in the Si/Al ratio, indicating that the proportion of Al atoms in the main channels relatively decreased with the Si/Al ratio. This was confirmed from the linear relationship between the number of benzene molecules adsorbed in a unit cell and the number of Al atoms in the main channels. In addition, this was also suggested from the computer simulation result that Al atoms are preferentially sitting in the T3 site.
KeywordsMordenite Main channel Side pocket Al distribution Acetonitrile
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to acknowledge Dr. Keiji Itabashi at Nanyo Research Laboratory, Tosoh Corporation for useful discussion and advice.
- 1.D.W. Breck, Zeolite Molecular Sieves: Structure, Chemistry and Uses, (Wiley, New York, 1974)Google Scholar
- 2.R.M. Barrer, J. Chem. Soc. 127 (1948)Google Scholar
- 3.R.M. Barrer, E.A.D. White, J. Chem. Soc. 1261 (1951)Google Scholar
- 4.O.J. Whittemore Jr., Am. Mineral. 57, 1146 (1972)Google Scholar
- 5.S. Sakurada, N. Tagaya, T. Maeshima, T. Toyoizumi, T. Numura, T. Hasimoto, Eur. Pat. 0040104 (1981)Google Scholar
- 6.J. Arika, H. Miyazaki, K. Itabashi, M. Aimoto, Eur. Pat. 0109729 (1984)Google Scholar
- 8.I.E. Maxwell, W.H.J. Stork, in Introduction to Zeolite Science and Practice, ed. by H. von Bekkum, E.M. Flanigen, J.C. Jonsen (Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1991), p. 71Google Scholar
- 31.K. Itabashi, T. Okada, K. Igawa, in Proceeding of the 7th International Zeolite Conference, Kodansha, Tokyo, Japan, 1986, ed. by Y. Murakami, A. Iijma, J.W. Ward, p. 369Google Scholar