Elaboration and Properties of Innovative Biobased PUIR Foams from Microalgae
- 238 Downloads
Foams were elaborated from biobased epoxides and polyols derived from highly unsaturated oil of microalgae (schizochytrium sp.). The same types of chemicals were also synthesized from rapeseed oil, and used as references. Triglycerides derivatives were characterized by IR, titration, NMR and SEC analysis. Epoxidation reaction led to fully epoxidized oils, from both bioresources. These epoxidized oils were transformed in polyols via epoxide ring opening reaction with methanol. A preliminary study was focused on the elaboration of urethane-modified isocyanurate (PUIR) foams to evaluate the reactivity and effect of the previously synthesized derivatives (epoxides and polyols) with isocyanates. These derivatives were used to partially substitute oxypropylated glycerol (OPG), a conventional reference polyol. All elaborated foams were close to the PUIR reference (only based on OPG), in terms of kinetics and morphology. PUIR thermal stability was improved, using directly epoxides derivatives.
KeywordsMicroalgal oil Polyol Epoxide Urethane-modified isocyanurate Foam
The authors thank Vincent Barraud from SOPREMA for helpful discussions. We are also grateful to Sophie Ferreux and Isabelle Dhenin from Soprema, for their technical assistances. We are grateful for, Oseo (Bpifrance), ANRT and SOPREMA are acknowledged for their financial supports. Finally, we thank Novance and CECA for rapeseed oil and OPG. Special thanks are due to Dr. Khadidja Romari (Greensea) for providing algal oil.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have declared no conflict of interest.
- 2.Petrovic Z (2008) Polymer reviews, Taylor & Francis, Philadelphia 48(1):109–155Google Scholar
- 14.Banerjee C, Dubey KK, Shukla P (2016) Front Microb 7(432Google Scholar
- 15.Hofmann AW (1870) Berichte der deutschen chemischen Gesellschaft 3(1):653–658.Google Scholar
- 23.Celina MC, Giron NH (2014)Method of making a cyanate ester foam and cyanate ester resin mixture. U. S. Pat. Appl. Publ. U.S. Sandia Corporation, USA., p 9.Google Scholar
- 24.Occhiello E, Aguirre FV, Zeng-Kun LB (2009) Isocyanate-modified epoxy resin for fusion bonded epoxy foam applications. PCT Int. Appl, Dow Global Technologies Inc., USA, p 24.Google Scholar