A mobile decision support system for red eye diseases diagnosis: experience with medical students
- 356 Downloads
A good primary health care is the base for a better healthcare system. Taking a good decision on time by the primary health care physician could have a huge repercussion. In order to ease the diagnosis task arise the Decision Support Systems (DSS), which offer counselling instead of refresh the medical knowledge, in a profession where it is still learning every day. The implementation of these systems in diseases which are a frequent cause of visit to the doctor like ophthalmologic pathologies are, which affect directly to our quality of life, takes more importance. This paper aims to develop OphthalDSS, a totally new mobile DSS for red eye diseases diagnosis. The main utilities that OphthalDSS offers will be a study guide for medical students and a clinical decision support system for primary care professionals. Other important goal of this paper is to show the user experience results after OphthalDSS being used by medical students of the University of Valladolid. For achieving the main purpose of this research work, a decision algorithm will be developed and implemented by an Android mobile application. Moreover, the Quality of Experience (QoE) has been evaluated by the students through the questions of a short inquiry. The app developed which implements the algorithm OphthalDSS is capable of diagnose more than 30 eye’s anterior segment diseases. A total of 67 medical students have evaluated the QoE. The students find the diseases’ information presented very valuable, the appearance is adequate, it is always available and they have ever found what they were looking for. Furthermore, the students think that their quality of life has not been improved using the app and they can do the same without using the OphthalDSS app. OphthalDSS is easy to use, which is capable of diagnose more than 30 ocular diseases in addition to be used as a DSS tool as an educational tool at the same time.
KeywordsDecision Support System (DSS) Eye’s anterior segment mHealth Ophthalmology
Clinical Decision Support System
Decision Support System
Quality of Experience
This research has been partially supported by Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad, Spain.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Spanish Society of Health Informatics (2014). X Informe - Manual De Salud Electrónica Para Directivos De Servicios Y Sistemas De Salud. Vol. II. Aplicaciones De Las Tic A La Atención Primaria De Salud. http://22.214.171.124/jsp/base.jsp?contenido=/jsp/publicaciones/inforseis.jsp&id=5.2&informeid=9&titulo. Accessed October 2015.
- 5.IMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics (2013). Patient Apps for Improved Healthcare. http://www.imshealth.com/deployedfiles/imshealth/Global/Content/Corporate/IMS%20Health%20Institute/Reports/Patient_Apps/IIHI_Patient_Apps_Report.pdf. Accessed October 2015.
- 6.Deloitte Center for Health Solutions (2012). mHealth in a mWorld How mobile technology is transforming health care. http://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/us/Documents/life-sciences-health-care/us-lhsc-mhealth-in-an-mworld-103014.pdf. Accessed October 2015.
- 8.Ricur, G. (2014) Telemedicina: generalidades y áreas de aplicación clínicas. In: SpanishSociety of HealthInformatics. IX informe - Manual De Salud Electrónica Para Directivos De Servicios Y Sistemas De Salud. http://126.96.36.199/jsp/base.jsp?contenido=/jsp/publicaciones/inforseis.jsp&id=5.2&informeid=8&titulo=.Accessed September 2015.
- 12.Maldonado-López M. J, and Pastor-Jimeno J. C., Guiones de oftalmología. Aprendizaje basado en competencias, 2nd edn. McGraw-Hill-Interamericana, 2011Google Scholar
- 14.De la Torre-Díez, I., Martínez-Pérez, B., López-Coronado, M., Díaz, J., and López, M., Decision support systems and applications in ophthalmology: literature and commercial review focused on mobile apps. J. Med. Syst. 2014:39(1), 2014.Google Scholar
- 15.Mobile Health Economics by reasearch2guidance, EU Countries’ mHealth App Market Ranking, 2015. http://mhealtheconomics.com/eu-countries-mhealth-app-market-ranking-2015. Accessed October 2015.
- 16.The App Date, Informe 50 mejores app en salud en español, 2014 http://www.theappdate.es/static/media/uploads/2014/03/Informe-TAD-50-Mejores-Apps-de-Salud.pdf. Accessed October 2015.
- 17.Martínez-Pérez, B., de la Torre-Díez, I., López-Coronado, M., Sainz-de-Abajo, B., Robles, M., and García-Gómez, J., Mobile clinical decision support systems and applications: a literature and commercial review. J. Med. Syst. 38(1), 2014.Google Scholar
- 18.Martínez-Pérez, B., de la Torre-Díez, I., Candelas-Plasencia, S. and López-Coronado, M., Development and evaluation of tools for measuring the quality of experience (QoE) in mHealth applications. J. Med. Syst. 2013;37(5), 2013.Google Scholar