Implementation of Microcalorimeter Array Technology for Safeguards of Nuclear Material
- 43 Downloads
Safeguards of nuclear materials depend on both destructive and nondestructive assay (DA and NDA, respectively). Ultra-high-resolution microcalorimeter gamma spectroscopy has the potential to substantially reduce the performance gap between NDA and DA methods in determination of plutonium isotopic composition. This paper details the setup of a cryostat and microwave readout system for microcalorimeter gamma spectroscopy, the functionality of which has been successfully demonstrated.
KeywordsMicrocalorimeter gamma spectroscopy Superconducting transition-edge sensor Microwave multiplexing
This work was supported by the US Department of Energy (DOE), Nuclear Energy’s Fuel Cycle Research and Development (FCR&D) Materials Protection, Accounting and Control Technologies (MPACT) Campaign.
- 1.Basics of IAEA Safeguards. (International Atomic Energy Agency, 1998–2017), https://www.iaea.org/topics/basics-of-iaea-safeguards. Accessed 15 Aug 2017
- 2.Comparison of DA and NDA. (Nuclear Security and Safeguards Education Portal, 2017), http://nsspi.tamu.edu/nssep/courses/nuclear-material-accountancy/nuclear-material-measurement-techniques-and-equipment/comparison-of-da-and-nda. Accessed 7 Sept 2017
- 8.ROACH-2 Revision 2. (Collaboration for Astronomy Signal Processing and Electronics Research, 2013), https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/ROACH-2_Revision_2. Accessed 17 Aug 2017
- 9.Roach-2 Datasheet. (Collaboration for Astronomy Signal Processing and Electronics Research, 2012), https://github.com/ska-sa/roach2_hardware/blob/master/release/rev2/A/ASSEMBLY/ROACH2-REV2%20Datasheet.pdf. Accessed 5 Sept 2017
- 10.Boards for ROACH (Techne Instruments, 2012), http://techneinstruments.com/Boards_for_Roach. Accessed 12 Sept 2017
- 11.Simulation and Model-Based Design. (Mathworks, 1994-2017), https://www.mathworks.com/products/simulink.html. Accessed 9 Sept 2017
- 12.KATCP. (Collaboration for Astronomy Signal Processing and Electronics Research, 2012), https://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/KATCP. Accessed 5 Sept 2017