2-(4,5-Dimethyl-1-m-tolyl-1H-imidazol-2-yl)phenol as Efficient Chemosensor for On–Off Fluorescence System: Catalytic Synthesis and NMR Spectral Studies
- 105 Downloads
An efficient chemosensor 2-(4,5-dimethyl-1-m-tolyl-1H-imidazol-2-yl)phenol (DMTP) has been designed and synthesized using nano SiO2 as catalyst. Nano SiO2 exhibited remarkable catalytic activity with respect to the reaction time, amount of catalyst and vast range of substrates usage. Synthesized compounds have been characterized by 1H and 13C-NMR spectral studies. Proton and 13C chemical shift of the synthesized compounds have been calculated. DMTP has been used to construct highly sensitive fluorescent chemosensor for sensing of metal ions. It can behave as a selective fluorescent sensor for the detection of Fe3+ metal ion. Addition and increasing concentration of Fe3+ ions into DMTP results excellent fluorescence quenching. Other cations, including Ca2+, Al3+, K+, Cd2+, Pb2+, Zn2+ and Mg2+ had little influence in the fluorescence intensity. Surprisingly reversible fluorescence enhancement has been observed with the addition of H3PO4 due to the deactivation of iron complex.
KeywordsChemosensor Fluorescence Nano SiO2 Chemical shift
One of the Author Dr. N. Srinivasan gratefully acknowledge the Chairman, Secretary and Trust board members, Pachaiyappa’s trust board, Harrington Road, Chennai—600030 for providing necessary facilities to do this research work in a successive manner.
- 1.S. Suresh, S. Karthikeyan, P. Saravanan, K. Jayamoorthy, K.I. Dhanalekshmi, Comparison of antibacterial and antifungal activity of 5-amino-2-mercapto benzimidazole and functionalized Ag3O4 nanoparticles, Karbala International. J. Mod. Sci. 2, 129–137 (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.K. Boonkitpatarakul, J. Wang, N. Niamnont, B. Liu, L. Mcdonald, Y. Pang, M. Sukwattanasinitt, ACS Sens. (2016), 1, 144–150Google Scholar
- 24.S. Suresh, S. Karthikeyan, P. Saravanan, K. Jayamoorthy, Comparison of antibacterial and antifungal activities of 5-amino-2-mercaptobenzimidazole and functionalized NiO nanoparticles, Karbala International. J. Mod. Sci. 2(3), 188–195 (2016)Google Scholar
- 25.P. Saravanan, K. Jayamoorthy, S.A. Kumar, Eco-Friendly Nano-Hybrid Materials for Advanced Engineering Applications, Apple Academic Press, Oakville 263–280Google Scholar
- 34.K. Jayamoorthy, T. Mohandas, P. Sakthivel, J. Jayabharathi, 1-Phenyl-2-[4-(trifluoromethyl)phenyl]1H-benzimidazole. Acta Cryst. 69, o244 (2013)Google Scholar