Community-based Organizations’ Capacity to Plan, Implement, and Evaluate Success
- 355 Downloads
Community-based organizations (CBOs) have the potential to promote and sustain health, prevent disease, and address health disparities, but many lack the capacity to do so. An assessment of the 20 CBOs receiving supplemental grant funding from the Pfizer Foundation Southern HIV/AIDS Prevention Initiative indicated a high level of knowledge for developing goals and objectives (mean score = 3.08 on a scale of 0 (none) to 4 (extensive)) and high self-assessed abilities to conduct six of 20 specific intervention activities, including the development of community relationships and coalitions. Lower knowledge and skill levels were observed for intervention evaluation. While CBOs of this Initiative have established prerequisite abilities, they have self-acknowledged needs for technical assistance to maximize HIV/AIDS prevention capacity.
KeywordsPrimary prevention Community health HIV/AIDS Planning Evaluation
- 2.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2001). Evaluating CDC-Funded Health Department HIV Prevention Programs, Vol. 1—Guidance. Atlanta, GA [updated 2001; cited 2007 May 7]; Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/aboutdhap/perb/hdg.htm#vol1.
- 3.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2001). HIV Prevention Strategic Plan Through 2005 [updated 2001; cited 2007 May 7]; Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/reports/psp/pdf/prev-strat-plan.pdf.
- 4.Rugg, D., Buehler, J., Renaud, M., Gilliam, A., Heitgerd, J., Westover, B., Wright-Deaguero, L., Bartholow, K., & Swanson, S. (1999). Evaluating HIV prevention: A framework for national, state and local levels. American Journal of Evaluation, 20, 35–56.Google Scholar
- 6.Silvestre, A., Arrowhead, S., Ivery, J., & Barksdale, S. (2002). HIV-prevention capacity building in gay, racial and ethnic minority communities in small cities and towns. Health and Social Work, 27(1), 61–67.Google Scholar
- 10.Fink, A. (1995). How to analyze survey data. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- 12.Argyris, C., & Schon, D. (1978). Organizational learning: A theory of action perspective. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- 13.Atkisson, C. C., & Hargreaves, A. (1979). A conceptual model for program evaluation in health organizations. In H. C. Schulberg & F. Baker (Eds.), Program evaluation in the health fields. New York, NY: Human Sciences Press.Google Scholar
- 15.Brazil, K. (1999). A framework for developing evaluation capacity in health care settings. International Journal of Health Care Quality Assurance Incorporating Leadership in Health Service, 12, vi–xi.Google Scholar
- 16.Love, A. J. (Ed.). (1984). Developing effective internal evaluation. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass, Inc.Google Scholar
- 17.Patton, M. Q. (1997). Utilization-focused evaluation: The new century. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- 19.Stockdill, S. H., Baizerman, M., & Compton, D. W. (2002). Toward a definition of the ECB process: A conversation with the ECB literature. New Directions for Evaluation, 93, 1–25.Google Scholar
- 23.Viswanathan, M. A. A., Eng, E., Gartlehner, G., Lohr, K. N., Griffith, D., Rhodes, S., Samuel-Hodge, C., Maty, S., Lux, L., Webb, L., Sutton, S. F., Swinson, T., Jackman, A., & Whitener, L. Community-based participatory research: Assessing the evidence. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (Prepared by RTI—University of North Carolina Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No. 290-02-0016); 2004. Report No.: AHRQ 04-E022-2 Contract No.: Document Number.Google Scholar
- 24.Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2005). HIV/AIDS Surveillance Report, 2004. Vol. 16. Atlanta, GA: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [updated 2005; cited 2007 May 7]; Available from: http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/reports/2004report/pdf/2004SurveillanceReport.pdf.
- 25.U.S. Census Bureau. (2003). Current Population Survey, 2003 Annual Social and Economic Supplement [updated 2003; cited 2007 May 25]; Available from: http://www.census.gov/apsd/techdoc/cps/cpsmar03.pdf.
- 31.Biegel, D. E. (1984). Help seeking and receiving in urban ethnic neighborhoods: Strategies for empowerment. In J. S. C. Rappaport & R. Hess (Eds.), Studies in empowerment steps towards understanding action. New York: Haworth Press.Google Scholar
- 33.Thomas, R., Israel, B., & Steuart, G. (1984). Cooperative problem solving: The neighborhood self help project. In H. Cleary, J. Kichen, & P. Grinso (Eds.), Case studies in the practice of health education. Palo Alto, CA: Mayfield.Google Scholar