Gambling Disorder: Exploring Pre-treatment and In-treatment Dropout Predictors. A UK Study
- 269 Downloads
The aim of this study was to identify predictors of treatment dropout in a sample of gamblers attending a specialist clinic for gambling disorder. We analysed data on 846 treatment-seeking pathological gamblers. Firstly, we investigated differences in socio-demographic and clinical variables between treatment completers and pre-treatment dropouts, as well as between treatment completers and during-treatment dropouts. Subsequently, variables were entered into a multinomial logistic regression model to identify significant predictors of pre-treatment and in-treatment dropout. Overall, 44.8% of clients did not complete the treatment: 27.4% dropped out before starting it, while 17.4% dropped out during the treatment. Younger age and use of drugs were associated with pre-treatment dropout, while family history of gambling disorder, a lower PGSI score, and being a smoker were related with in-treatment dropout. Our findings suggest that pre-treatment dropouts differ from in-treatment dropouts, and, thus, further research will benefit from considering these groups separately. In addition, this newly gained knowledge will also be helpful in increasing treatment retention in specific subgroups of problem gamblers.
KeywordsGambling disorder Pathological gambling Treatment dropout Treatment outcome Dropout predictors
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interests
The authors declare that there is no conflict of interest.
- Alvarez-Moya, E. M., Ochoa, C., Jimenez-Murcia, S., Aymami, M. N., Gomez-Pena, M., Fernandez-Aranda, F., et al. (2011). Effect of executive functioning, decision-making and self-reported impulsivity on the treatment outcome of pathologic gambling. Jouranl of Psychiatry & Neuroscience, 36, 165–175.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bush, K., Kivlahan, D. R., McDonell, M. B., Fihn, S. D., & Bradley, K. A. (1998). The AUDIT alcohol consumption questions (AUDIT-C): An effective brief screening test for problem drinking. Ambulatory Care Quality Improvement Project (ACQUIP). Alcohol use disorders identification test. Archives of Internal Medicine, 158, 1789–1795.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Cowlishaw, S., Merkouris, S., Dowling, N., Anderson, C., Jackson, A., & Thomas, S. (2012). Psychological therapies for pathological and problem gambling. Cochrane Database Systematic Review, 11, CD008937.Google Scholar
- Dowling, N. A., Cowlishaw, S., Jackson, A. C., Merkouris, S. S., Francis, K. L., & Christensen, D. R. (2015a). The prevalence of comorbid personality disorders in treatment-seeking problem gamblers: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Personality Disorders, 29, 735–754.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dowling, N. A., Cowlishaw, S., Jackson, A. C., Merkouris, S. S., Francis, K. L., & Christensen, D. R. (2015b). Prevalence of psychiatric co-morbidity in treatment-seeking problem gamblers: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 49, 519–539.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ferris, J., & Wynne, H. (2001). The Canadian problem gambling index: User manual. Toronto: Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse.Google Scholar
- Jimenez-Murcia, S., Aymami, N., Gomez-Pena, M., Santamaria, J. J., Alvarez-Moya, E., Fernandez-Aranda, F., et al. (2012). Does exposure and response prevention improve the results of group cognitive-behavioural therapy for male slot machine pathological gamblers? British Journal of Clinical Psychology, 51, 54–71.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Meneses-Gaya, C., Zuardi, A. W., Loureiro, S. R., Hallak, J. E., Trzesniak, C., de Azevedo Marques, J. M., et al. (2010). Is the full version of the AUDIT really necessary? Study of the validity and internal construct of its abbreviated versions. Alcoholism-Clincial and Experimental Research, 34, 1417–1424.Google Scholar
- Miller, W. R., & Rollnick, S. (2002). Motivational interviewing: Preparing people for change. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Wardle, H., Sproston, K., Orford, J., Erens, B., Griffiths, M., Constantine, R., & Pigott, S. (2011). British gambling prevalence survey 2010. http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk/PDF/British%20Gambling%20Prevalence%20Survey%202010.pdf.