Updates of the Prevalence of Problem Gambling in Romanian Teenagers
- 283 Downloads
The aim of this study was to find out what is the prevalence of pathological in Romanian teenagers. We questioned one thousand thirty-two teenagers in Cluj-Napoca and Harghita counties. Participants completed a questionnaire with 40 items including gamblers anonymous twenty questions. The sample included teenagers aged 11–19 years; 65.57% were male and 34.43% were female. The subjects were divided into three groups: non-gambling/recreational gambling or occasional gambling (0–1 positive answers —Level 1)—753 subjects (72.96%) [316 females and 437 males]; problem gambling (2–6 points—Level 2)—243 subjects (23.54%) [43 females and 200 males]; pathological gambling (above 7 points—Level 3)—36 subjects (3.48%) [3 females and 33 males]. The mean age of pathological gamblers was 16.48 years. Gender differences were as expected, males engaging in pathological gambling (91.66% from pathological gamblers) more than females did (8.33% from pathological gamblers). Data revealed that the most encountered games practiced weekly were sport bets and slot machines in the case of 36.11% of the pathological gamblers; lotto, internet casino and pool bets each with 25%, followed by roulette and black-jack with 22.22%.From those who reported practicing gambling at a pathological level 66.66% engaged in alcohol consumption, 13.88% illicit drug use and 19.44% licit drugs. Just 16.66% smoke cigarettes. Data revealed higher rates of prevalence in Romanian teenagers than in other Central and Eastern European countries. A prevalence study at a national level should be designed.
KeywordsPrevalence Problem gambling Pathological gambling Romanian Children Adolescents Teenagers
- Derevensky, J. L., & Gupta, R. (1996). Risk-taking and gambling behavior among adolescents: An empirical examination. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the National Conference on Compulsive Gambling, Chicago.Google Scholar
- Derevensky, J. L., & Gupta, R. (2004). Adolescents with gambling problems: A synopsis of our current knowledge. eGambling: The Electronic Journal of Gambling Issues, 10. Available at http://www.camh.net/egambling.
- Gamblers Anonymous (1984). (3rd ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Gamblers Anonymous Publishing.Google Scholar
- Griffiths, M. D. (2009). Problem gambling in Europe: An overview. International Gaming. Research Unit. Division of Psychology. Apex Communications, UK: Nottingham Trent University.Google Scholar
- Hayer, T., Griffiths, M. & Meyer, G. (2005). Gambling In T.P. Gullotta, G.R. Adams (Eds.) Handbook of adolescent behavioral problems: Evidence-based approaches to prevention and treatment (pp.467–486). Berlin: Springer Science Business Media, Inc.Google Scholar
- Lupu, V. (2009). Gambling in Romania. In G. Meyer, T. Hayer, & M. D. Griffiths (Eds.), Problem gambing in Europe: Challenges, prevention, and interventions. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Lupu, V., Boros, S., Miu, A., Iftene, F. & Geru, A. (2001). Factori de risc pentru jocul patologic de noroc la adolescentii români. Revista SNPCAR, [Risk factors in pathological gambling in Romanian adolescents], SNPCAR Magazine, 4(4), 33–38.Google Scholar
- Lupu, V., Todiriţă, I. R. (2010). Problem Gambling in Romania: Updates, http://www.easg.org/media/file/vienna2010/presentations/Thursday/1600/P3/2_Viorel_Lupu_Izabela_Ramona_Todirita.pdf (Accessed July 17, 2011).
- Lupu,V. (2008). Jocul patologic de noroc la adolescenţi. [Pathological gambling in adolescents]. Cluj-Napoca, Editura Risoprint.Google Scholar
- Olason, D., & Gretarsson, S. J. (2009). Gambling in Germany. In G. Meyer, T. Hayer, & M. D. Griffiths (Eds.), Problem gaming in Europe: Challenges, prevention, and interventions. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Rossow, I. & Hansen, M. (2003): Underholdning med bismak. Ungdom og pengespil [Entertainment with an after-taste. Money gambling among youths]. Report no. 1/03. Norsk Institut for forskning om oppvekst, velferd og aldring.Google Scholar
- Wynne, H. J., Smith, G, J., & Jacobs, D. F. (1996). Adolescent gambling and problem gambling in Alberta. Prepared for the Alberta Alcohol and Drug Abuse Commission. Edmonton: Wynne Resources LTD. http://www.insse.ro/cms/files/RPL2002INS/vol1/tabele/t15.pdf (Accessed Sep 17, 2011).