Gambling Behaviour and the Prevalence of Gambling Problems in Adult EGM Gamblers when EGMs are Banned. A Natural Experiment
- 408 Downloads
In this article, findings of a panel study among former EGM gamblers are discussed. The data were collected in two waves during 2007, and 1293 people, 18 years or older, participated. The background for the study was the Norwegian ban on EGMs from 1 July 2007, and the aim was to investigate how this ban affected gambling involvement and problem levels in the sample. The analysis shows that gambling participation, gambling frequencies and gambling problems were reduced after EGMs disappeared from the market. There was no indication of the development of an illegal EGM market, or of substitution of EGMs with other types of gambling. A reduction in other types of gambling is interpreted as an indication of synergetic effects between games. Reduced gambling participation among the most active EGM gamblers, and among risk gamblers, shows that the reductions in gambling availability had an effect even on highly involved gamblers.
KeywordsEGMs Adult gambling Gambling problems Panel data
This study is fully funded by the Norwegian Institute for Alcohol and Drug Research (SIRUS).
- Abbott, M. (2006). Do EGMs and problem gambling go together like a horse and carriage? Gambling Research, 18, 7–38.Google Scholar
- Doiron, J. P. (2006). Gambling and problem gambling in Prince Edward Island. Retrieved August 6, 2008, from http://www.gov.pe.ca/photos/original/doh_GambReport.pdf.
- Gyllström, F. (2008, September 3). Pengespill. Utvikling etter reguleringer? (Gambling. Development after regulations?) Paper presented at the seminar “Pengespill og avhengighet – Er de nye automatene snille nok? Vil pengespill på nett overta?” Oslo: arranged by SIRUS.Google Scholar
- Kavli, H. (2007). Spillevaner og spilleproblemer i den norske befolkningen. (Gambling habits and gambling problems in the Norwegian population.) Report, Oslo Norway: Synovate, MMI.Google Scholar
- Lund, I., & Nordlund, S. (2003). Pengespill og pengespillproblemer i Norge (Gambling and Gambling Problems in Norway) Report no 2, 2003, Oslo, Norway: SIRUS.Google Scholar
- Mizerski, D., Jolley, B., & Mizerski, K. (2002). Disputing the “crack cocaine of gambling” label for electronic gaming machines. In A. Blaszczynski (Ed.), Culture and the Gambling Phenomenon. Proceedings of the 11th Conference of the National Association for Gambling Studies, (pp. 276-283). Melbourne: National Association for Gambling Studies.Google Scholar
- Norsk, T. (2007). Social report. Retrieved August 6, 2008, from http://www.norsk-tipping.no/page?id=70&tp=lsub.
- The Norwegian Gambling Board. (2006). Norske pengespel 2005 (Gaming in Norway 2005). Førde, Norway: Lotteri- og stiftelsestilsynet.Google Scholar
- The Norwegian Gambling Board. (2008). Årsmelding 2007 (Yearly report 2007). Førde, Norway: Lotteri- og stiftelsestilsynet.Google Scholar
- The Norwegian Gambling Board. (2008b). Hjelpelinjen for Spilleavhengige. Samtalestatistikk. (The helpline for problem gamblers. Calls statistics.). Retrieved August 6, 2008, from http://www.lottstift.no/dav/d3cf09723d.pdf.