Application of Reduced-set Pareto-Lipschitzian Optimization to truss optimization
- 384 Downloads
In this paper, a recently proposed global Lipschitz optimization algorithm Pareto-Lipschitzian Optimization with Reduced-set (PLOR) is further developed, investigated and applied to truss optimization problems. Partition patterns of the PLOR algorithm are similar to those of DIviding RECTangles (DIRECT), which was widely applied to different real-life problems. However here a set of all Lipschitz constants is reduced to just two: the maximal and the minimal ones. In such a way the PLOR approach is independent of any user-defined parameters and balances equally local and global search during the optimization process. An expanded list of other well-known DIRECT-type algorithms is used in investigation and experimental comparison using the standard test problems and truss optimization problems. The experimental investigation shows that the PLOR algorithm gives very competitive results to other DIRECT-type algorithms using standard test problems and performs pretty well on real truss optimization problems.
KeywordsTruss optimization Lipschitz optimization PLOR algorithm DIRECT algorithm
This research was funded by a grant (No. MIP-051/2014) from the Research Council of Lithuania.
- 3.Choi, T.D., Eslinger, O.J., Gilmore, P., Patrick, A., Kelley, C.T., Gablonsky, J.M.: Iffco: implicit filtering for constrained optimization, version 2. Rep. CRSC-TR99, 23 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Finkel, D.E.: DIRECT optimization algorithm user guide. Technical report, Center for Research in Scientific Computation. North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Finkel, D.E.: Global optimization with the DIRECT algorithm. Ph.D. thesis, North Carolina State University (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Gablonsky, J.M.: Modifications of the DIRECT algorithm. Ph.D. thesis, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC (2001)Google Scholar
- 13.He, J., Verstak, A.A., Watson, L.T., Stinson, C.A., Ramakrishnan, N., Shaffer, C.A., Rappaport, T.S., Anderson, C.R., Bae, K.K., Jiang, J., et al.: Globally optimal transmitter placement for indoor wireless communication systems. IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun. 3(6), 1906–1911 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Pardalos, P.M., Siskos, Y. (eds.): Advances in Multi-criteria Analysis. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1995)Google Scholar
- 38.Tang, H., Li, F., Wang, Y., Xue, S., Cheng, R.: Particle swarm optimization algorithm for shape optimization of truss structures. J. Harbin Inst. Technol. 41(12), 94–99 (2009)Google Scholar
- 42.Žilinskas, J., Kvasov, D.E., Paulavičius, R., Sergeyev, Y.D.: Acceleration of simplicial-partition-based methods in Lipschitz global optimization. In: Gergel, V.P. (ed.) High-Performance Computing on Clusters, pp. 128–133. Nizhny Novgorod State University, Nizhny Novgorod (2013)Google Scholar