Semidefinite programming versus the reformulation-linearization technique for nonconvex quadratically constrained quadratic programming
We consider relaxations for nonconvex quadratically constrained quadratic programming (QCQP) based on semidefinite programming (SDP) and the reformulation-linearization technique (RLT). From a theoretical standpoint we show that the addition of a semidefiniteness condition removes a substantial portion of the feasible region corresponding to product terms in the RLT relaxation. On test problems we show that the use of SDP and RLT constraints together can produce bounds that are substantially better than either technique used alone. For highly symmetric problems we also consider the effect of symmetry-breaking based on tightened bounds on variables and/or order constraints.
KeywordsSemidefinite programming Reformulation-linearization technique Quadratically constrained quadratic programming
AMS Subject Classifications90C26 90C22
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anstreicher, K.M., Burer, S.: Computable representations for convex hulls of low-dimensional quadratic forms. Working paper, Deptartment of Management Sciences, University of Iowa (2007) http://www.optimization-online.org/DB_HTML/2007/02/1586.html
- 2.Burer, S.: On the copositive representation of binary and continuous nonconvex quadratic programs. Math. Prog. (to appear)Google Scholar
- 4.de Angelis P.L., Pardalos P.M., Toraldo G. : Quadratic programming with box constraints. In: Bomze, I.M. et al. (eds) Developments in Global Optimization, pp. 73–95. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Sherali H.D., Adams W.P.: A Reformulation-Linearization Technique for Solving Discrete and Continuous Nonconvex Problems. Kluwer, Dordrecht (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Wolkowicz, H., Saigal, R., Vandenberghe, L. (eds.): Handbook of Semidefinite Programming. Kluwer, Dordrecht (2000)Google Scholar
- 17.Ye Y.: Approximating quadratic programming with bound and quadratic constraints. Math. Prog. 84, 219–226 (1999)Google Scholar