Beyond the Caster Semenya Controversy: The Case of the Use of Genetics for Gender Testing in Sport
- 1.7k Downloads
Caster Semenya won the eight-hundred-meter title in the Berlin World Athletics Championships in 2009. Few hours after, Caster was at the center of a harsh contestation on gender. The International Association of Athletics Federations started an investigation, which was not respectful of her privacy. Caster’s case highlights the need for an improvement in the awareness of genetic counseling principles amongst professionals, the public and various stakeholders. We critically examine the historical steps of gender verification in the Olympics, the violation of genetic counseling principles in Caster’s case and outline some reflections on the complexity of the genetics of Disorders of sex development (DSD). Variability in both genotypes and phenotypes in DSD may not allow any etiological or functional classification at this point in time that could permit uncontroversial gender verification for fairer sport participation. We strongly suggest revisiting the pertinence of gender verification, and the process whereby this is done.
KeywordsCaster Semenya Genetics Gender testing Sport
- Bidet, M., Bellanné-Chantelot, C., Galand-Portier, M. B., Tardy, V., Billaud, L., Laborde, K., et al. (2009). Clinical and molecular characterization of a cohort of 161 unrelated women with nonclassical congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency and 330 family members. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 94(5), 1570–8.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ge, Q., Gu, C., Ye, L., Lin, S., He, F., & Yu, Q. (1994). Recommendation of a new classification of sex development. The Journal of Reproductive Medicine, 3, 131–134.Google Scholar
- Hay, E. (1972). Sex determination in putative female athletes. Journal of the American Medical Association, 4, 39–41.Google Scholar
- Huynh, T., McGown, I., Cowley, D., Nyunt, O., Leong, G. M., Harris, M., et al. (2009). The clinical and biochemical spectrum of congenital adrenal hyperplasia secondary to 21-hydroxylase deficiency. Clinical Biochemist Reviews, 30(2), 75–86.Google Scholar
- Kulshreshtha, B., Philibert, P., Eunice, M., Audran, F., Paris, F., Khurana, M. L., et al. (2009). Phenotype, hormonal profile and genotype of subjects with partial androgen insensitivity syndrome: report of a family with four adult males and one child with disorder of sexual differentiation. Andrologia, 41(4), 257–63.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lee, P. A., Houk, C. P., Ahmed, S. F., Hughes, I. A., & in collaboration with the participants in the International consensus conference on intersex organized by the Lawson Wilkins pediatric endocrine society and the European society for paediatric endocrinology. (2006). Consensus statement on management of intersex disorders. Pediatrics, 118, e488–e500.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Longman, J. (2009). South African Runner’s Sex-Verification Result Won’t be Public. Retrieved March 15, 2010 from http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/20/sports/20runner.html?_r=1&pagewanted=print
- Melo, K. F., Mendonca, B. B., Billerbeck, A. E., Costa, E. M., Inácio, M., Silva, F. A., et al. (2003). Clinical, hormonal, behavioral, and genetic characteristics of androgen insensitivity syndrome in a Brazilian cohort: five novel mutations in the androgen receptor gene. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 88(7), 3241–50.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ritchie, I. (2003). Sex tested, gender verified: controlling female sexuality in the age of containment. Sport History Review, 34, 80–98.Google Scholar
- Samuel, M. (2009). Sorry Tale, probed south African Athlete Caster Semenya. Retrieved March 15, 2010 from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-1214895/martin-samuel-europes-elite-left-pots-trouble.html .
- Tardy, V., Menassa, R., Sulmont, V., Lienhardt-Roussie, A., Lecointre, C., Brauner, R., et al. (2010). Phenotype-genotype correlations of 13 rare CYP21A2 mutations detected in 46 patients affected with 21-hydroxylase deficiency and in one carrier. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 95(3), 1288–300.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wilson, N. (2009). Athletics: boy, That’s some win! Golden girl Caster Semenya to face sex test. Retrieved March 15, 2010 from: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-1207776/ATHLETICS-Boy-thats-win-Golden-girl-Caster-Semenya-face-sex-test.html