Male Victims of Domestic Violence
- 11k Downloads
Most studies regarding DV focused mainly on female victims. To gain more insight into the problems male victims encounter, this study investigated the characteristics of this group in the Netherlands. Adult male victims of DV filled out an online questionnaire regarding the characteristics of the abuse (N = 372). When men are victims of DV, they are physically as well as psychologically abused with the female (ex)-partners often being their perpetrator. The most important reason for men not to report the abuse is the belief the police would not take any action. Our findings suggest society should be aware that men are also victims of DV and feel the need to talk about it and desire support.
KeywordsDV Male victims Intimate partner violence Abused men
- Bland, R., & Orn, H. (1986). Family violence and psychiatric disorder. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 31(2), 129–137.Google Scholar
- Coleman, D. H., & Straus, M. A. (1983). Alcohol abuse and family violence. In E. Gottlheil, K. A. Druley, T. E. Skoloda, & H. M. Waxman (Eds.), Alcohol, drug abuse, and aggression (pp. 104–124). Springfield: C. C. Thomas.Google Scholar
- George, M. J., & Yarwood, D. J. (2001). Male DV victims survey 2001: Main findings. www.dewar4research.org/DOCS/mdv.pdf.
- Kuyper, L. (2006). Seksualiteit en seksuele gezondheid bij homo- en biseksuelen [Sexuality and sexual health of homo- and bisexuals]. In F. Bakker & Vanwesenbeeck (Eds.), Seksuele gezondheid in Nederland 2006 [Sexual health in the Netherlands 2006] (pp. 167–188). Delft: Eburon.Google Scholar
- Lo Fo Wong, S., Wester, F., Mol, S. S., & Lagro-Janssen, T. L. (2006). Increased awareness of intimate partner abuse after training: a randomized trial. British Journal of General Practice, 56(525), 243–244.Google Scholar
- Straus, M. (1999). Controversy over DV by women: A methodological, theoretical, and sociology of science analysis. National Institute of mental health report (NCJ 186243). Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.Google Scholar
- Straus, M. A. (2004). Women’s violence towards men is a serious social problem. In R. J. Gelles & D. R. Loseke (Eds.), Current controversies on family violence (2nd ed., pp. 55–77). Newbury Park: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Straus, M. A., Gelles, R. J., & Steinmetz, S. (1980). Behind closed doors: Violence in the American family. Garden City: Anchor.Google Scholar
- van Dijk, T., Flight, S., Oppenheim, E., & Dueman, B. (1997). Huiselijk geweld. Aard, omvang en hulpverlening [Domestic violence. Nature, occurence and professional care]. Den Haag: Ministerie van Justitie.Google Scholar