Intimate Partner Violence within the Chinese Community in San Francisco: Problem Gambling as a Risk Factor
- 385 Downloads
A total of 31 Chinese community members (8 males and 23 females) were recruited from three social service agencies in San Francisco (Donaldina Cameron House, Richmond Area Multi-Services, and St. Mary’s Chinese Center) to participate in a study examining the relationship between problem gambling and intimate partner violence (IPV). A survey approach was taken which assessed the participants’ demographic characteristics including age, gender, country of birth, and employment, as well as factors relating to their intimate partners, including partner’s alcohol abuse and problem gambling. Younger participants and those whose partners were problem gamblers were more likely to experience IPV. However, partner’s problem gambling was a significant predictor only at the ten-point cutoff on the South Oaks Gambling Screen (SOGS) (Lesieur and Blume, American Journal of Psychiatry, 1987) and not at the five-point cutoff. Chinese participants whose partners were problem gamblers (SOGS ≥ 10) were 27.5 times more likely to experience IPV. Findings are discussed and social work practice, policy, and research implications are highlighted.
KeywordsProblem gambling Intimate partner violence Chinese San Francisco
This research paper was submitted to the School of Social Work at the University of California Berkeley in partial fulfillment of the degree of Master in Social Work. Thanks to Julia Hastings, Ph.D. and Julian Chow, Ph.D. who served as the faculty advisors, and thanks to Kent Woo, MSW, who served as the agency advisor.
- Bernard, H. R. (1994). Research methods in anthropology: qualitative and quantitative approaches pp. (pp. 71–101). Walnut Creek: Alta Mira Press.Google Scholar
- Chen, R. (1991). Relationship between marital violence characteristics and family dynamics in Talwan: A study of 25 cases. In F. M. Cheung, P. W. Wan, H. I. C. Choi, & L. M. Choy (Eds.), Selected papers on conference on gender studies in Chinese societies (pp. 279–303). Hong Kong: Hong Kong Institute of Asia-Pacific Studies.Google Scholar
- Cohen, J. (1988). Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.Google Scholar
- National Gambling Impact Study Commission (1999). The National Gambling Impact Study Commission. Washington, DC: National Gambling Impact Study Commission.Google Scholar
- National Institute of Justice Center for Disease Control and Prevention (1998). Prevalence, incidence, and consequences of violence against women: Findings from the national violence against women survey (NCJ 172837). Washington DC: Tjaden, P., & Thoennes, N.Google Scholar
- NICOS Chinese Health Coalition (1997). Chinese community health study. San Francisco: Author.Google Scholar
- Rea, L. M., & Parker, R. A. (1992). Designing and conducting survey research. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Saunders, J. B., Aasland, O. G., Babor, T. F., de la Fuente, J. R., & Grant, M. (1993). Development of the alcohol use disorders identification test (AUDIT): WHO collaborative project on early detection of persons with harmful alcohol consumption–II. Addiction, 88, 791–804.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shaffer, H. J., Hall, M. N., & Vander Bilt, J. (1997). Estimating the prevalence of disordered gambling behavior in the United States and Canada: a meta-analysis. Boston: Harvard Medical School, Division of Addictions.Google Scholar
- U.S. Census Bureau. (2000). American FactFinder fact sheet: San Francisco County, California. Selected population group: Chinese alone. Retrieved May 6, 2007 from http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFIteratedFacts?_event = &geo_id = 05000US06075 &_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US06%7C05000US06075&_street=&_county=San+Francisco+County&_cityTown=&_state=04000US06&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&Acti veGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=050&_submenuId=factsheet_2&ds_name=DE C_2000_SAFF&_ci_nbr=016&qr_name=DEC_2000_SAFF_R1050®=DEC_2000_S AFF_R1050%3A016&_keyword=&_industry=/servlet/SAFFIteratedFacts?_event = &geo_id = 05000US06075 &_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US06%7C05000US06075&_street=&_county=San+Francisco+County&_cityTown=&_state=04000US06&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&Acti veGeoDiv=&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=050&_submenuId=factsheet_2&ds_name=DE C_2000_SAFF&_ci_nbr=016&qr_name=DEC_2000_SAFF_R1050®=DEC_2000_S AFF_R1050%3A016&_keyword=&_industry=