Antibiotic Use and the Demise of Husbandry
Numerous ethical issues have emerged from the industrialization of animal agriculture. Those issues ultimately rest in large measure upon overuse of antibiotics. How this has occurred is discussed in detail in this paper.
KeywordsIndustrial animal agriculture Antibiotic overuse Farm animal welfare Environmental despoliation Husbandry agriculture Industrial agriculture Human health Animal health Replacement of labor by capital Corporatization of animal agriculture
- Aidara-Kane A., Angulo F. J., Conly J.M., Minato Y., Silbergeld E., McEwen S. A., and Collignon P. 2017. For the WHO Guideline Development Group. Lancet. (Also forthcoming in Lancet Planetary Health, October 2017). http://who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/antimicrobial-resistance/cia_guidelines/en/.
- Committee on Drug Use in Food Animals, Panel on Animal Health, Food Safety, and Public Health, Board on Agriculture, National Research Council (NRC). 1999. The Use of Drugs in Food Animals—Benefits and Risks. Washington, DC: National Academy Press.Google Scholar
- Darwin, C. 1868. The Variation of Animals and Plants Under Domestication. London: James Murray.Google Scholar
- Dorigo, Hugh. 2006. Behind Closed Doors (Video Available Online).Google Scholar
- Flora J., Hodne C. J., Goudy W., Osterberg D., Kliebenstein J., Thu K., and Marquez S. 2002. In Iowa Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation Air Quality Study, Chapter 7. https://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/ehsrc/CAFOstudy/CAFO_7.pdf. Accessed 11 Nov 2017.
- Growth Promotion—Antimicrobial Resistance Learning Site. Module #13. 2011. Non-Therapeutic use of Antimicrobials in Animals. amrls.cvm.msu.edu. Accessed 4 Oct 2017.
- Hobbes, Thomas. 1651. In Leviathan or The Matter, Forme and Power of a Common-Wealth Ecclesiasticall and Civil, Chapter 46.Google Scholar
- Kamb, Louis. 2004. Cattle feed is often the sum of animal parts. Seattle Post-Intelligencer.Google Scholar
- O’Neill, James (Chair). 2016. The Review on Antimicrobial Resistance: Tackling Drug-Resistant Infections Globally. London: Wellcome Trust and HM Government.Google Scholar
- Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production. 2008. Putting Meat on the Table: Industrial Farm Animal Production in America. Washington DC: Pew Charitable Trusts.Google Scholar
- Renck, A.W. 2002. The Agrarian Myth: How has it Affected Agricultural Policy? ageconsearch.umn.edu/bitstream/36568/1/sp02re01.pdf. Accessed 4 Oct 2017.
- Rollin, Bernard. 1995. Farm Animal Welfare: Social, Bioethical and Research Issues. Ames: Iowa State University Press.Google Scholar
- Rollin, Bernard. 2016. A New Basis for Animal Ethics: Telos and Common Sense. Columbia: University of Missouri Press.Google Scholar
- Rollin, Bernard. 2017a. Ethics in Animal Care. Bovine Veterinarian (Essays on Cattle Welfare in Ranches and Feedlots).Google Scholar
- Rollin, Bernard. 2017b. Forthcoming in Bovine Veterinarian (Essay on Dairy Cattle Welfare).Google Scholar
- Tegler, J. 2015. Thinning the Herd. U.S. Agriculture Outlook 2015 Edition: pp112ff.Google Scholar
- University of Iowa. 2002. Iowa Concentrated Animal Feeding Operation Air Quality Study. https://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/ehsrc/CAFOstudy.htm. Accessed 11 Nov 2017.
- Ventola, C.L. 2015. The Antibiotic Resistance Crisis-Part One. Pharmacy and Therapeutics 40(4): 277–283.Google Scholar
- Washington Post. 1977. Cement dust may beef up cattle growth.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V., part of Springer Nature 2017