Interaction of a Gas Flow Carrying Nonspherical Microparticles with a Cross Cylinder
- 19 Downloads
A model of the dynamics of the particles-spheroids carried by a gas flow over a cross cylindrical body and rebounding from it has been developed. In this model, the gas flow around the particles is assumed to be viscous, and the reverse action of the particles on the gas and the collisions between them are not taken into account. The coefficients of recovery of the velocity components of the particles rebounded from the cylinder were determined on the basis of the heuristic theory in which the physical and mechanical properties of colliding bodies are considered. The influence of the ratio between the axes of particles-spheroids on the coefficient of wetting of the cylinder by them, the distributions of the mass-flow density of the particles and their velocity components over the cylinder surface, and the spatial distribution of the indicated quantities of the rotating particles rebounded from the cylinder was investigated numerically. The model proposed can be used for estimating the action of ice microcrystals and particles of volcanic ash emissions and dust storms on the structural elements of aircraft engines and small-size flying vehicles.
Keywordsspheroid eccentricity recovery coefficient mass-flow density ice crystals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. B. Jeffery, The motion of ellipsoidal particles immersed in a viscous fluid, Proc. Roy. Soc. A, 102, 161–179 (1922).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Mason, W. Strapp, and P. Chow, The particles threat to engines in flight, 44th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exibit, Reno, 2006, AIAA Paper, No. 206 (2006). Google Scholar
- 5.A. Stohl, A. J. Prata, S. Eckhardt, L. Clarisse, et al., Determination of time- and height-resolved volcanic ash emissions and their use for quantitative ash dispersion modeling: the 2010 Eyjafiallajökull eruption, Atmos. Chem. Phys., 11, 4333 (2011).Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. M. Tsirkunov, S. V. Panfilov, and M. B. Klychnikov, Semiempirical model of impact interaction of a disperse impurity particle with a surface in a gas suspension flow, J. Eng Phys. Thermophys., 67, Nos. 5–6, 1018–1025 (1994).Google Scholar
- 7.T. F. Ivanov and A. Yu. Varaksin, Investigation of the behavior of the particles rebound from a blunt-nosed body in a heterogeneous flow: experimental and calculation, Teplofiz. Vys. Temp., 43, No. 2, 317–320 (2005).Google Scholar
- 10.P. G. Saffman, The lift on a small sphere in a slow shear flow, J. Fluid Mech., 22, Part 2, 385–400 (1965).Google Scholar
- 17.I. Reich, B. F. Goodrich, R. Scavazzo, and M. Chu, Survey of mechanical properties of impact ice, AIAA Paper, No. 0712 (1994).Google Scholar