Toward a Behavior Analysis of Complex Language for Children with Autism: Evaluating the Relationship between PEAK and the VB-MAPP
- 1.2k Downloads
The purpose of the present study was to evaluate the relationship between two behavioral language assessments that are currently used to evaluate the verbal repertoires of individuals with autism. The assessments include Promoting the Emergence of Advanced Knowledge Relational Training System (PEAK) and the Verbal Behavior Milestones Assessment and Placement Program (VB-MAPP). Forty students with autism were administered each of the assessments. The results suggest that there was a strong correlation between PEAK total scores and the VB-MAPP (r = 0.8266, p < 0.0001), and that a logarithmic regression model provided a good fit for the data (R 2 = 0.9598). Also, a ceiling effect was observed for the VB-MAPP around a PEAK total score of 138 of 368, suggesting that PEAK may provide a more robust measure of advanced language skills in individuals with autism. The utility of these findings for behavioral clinicians and researchers are discussed.
KeywordsPEAK VB-MAPP Complex verbal behavior Language Autism
- Autism Speaks, Inc. (2014). What is autism? Retrieved October 21, 2014 from http://www.autismspeaks.org/what-autism.
- Dixon, M. R. (2014a). The PEAK Relational Training System: Direct Training Module. Carbondale, IL: Shawnee Scientific Presschildren, 1997–2008. Pediatrics, 127(6), 1034–1042.Google Scholar
- Dixon, M. R. (2014b). The PEAK relational training system: generalization module. Carbondale: Shawnee Scientific Press.Google Scholar
- Dixon, M. R., Carman, J., Tyler, P. A., Whiting, S. W., Enoch, M., & Daar, J. H. (2014b). PEAK relational training system for children with autism and developmental disabilities: correlations with Peabody picture vocabulary test and assessment reliability. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities, 26(5), 603–614.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee, US Department of Health & Human Services. (2012). IACC/OARC autism spectrum disorder publications analysis: the global landscape of autism research. Retrieved from http://iacc.hhs.gov/publicationsanalysis/july2012/index.shtml.
- Rowsey, K. R., Belisle, J., & Dixon, M. R. (2014). Principal component analysis of the PEAK relational training system. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities. Google Scholar
- Sundberg, M. L. (2008). VB-MAPP: Verbal behavior milestones assessment and placement program. Concord: AVB Press.Google Scholar
- The Behavior Analysis Certification Board. (2014). BACB Guidelines for Responsible Conduct for Behavior Analysts. Retrieved from http://www.bacb.com/index.php?page=57.