The Prescribing Clinical Health Psychologist: A Hybrid Skill Set in the New Era of Integrated Healthcare
- 548 Downloads
The prescribing clinical health psychologist brings together in one individual a combination of skills to create a hybrid profession that can add value to any healthcare organization. This article addresses the high demand for mental health services and the inequitable distribution of mental health practitioners across the nation. The close link between physical and mental health and evidence that individuals in psychological distress often enter the mental health system via primary care medical clinics is offered as background to a discussion of the author’s work as a commissioned officer of the U.S. Public Health Service assigned to the Chaparral Medical Center of La Clinica de Familia, Inc. near the U.S.–Mexico border. The prescribing clinical health psychologist in primary care medical settings is described as a valuable asset to the future of professional psychology.
KeywordsClinical Health Psychology Integrated Health Prescribing Psychologist Medical Psychologist Patient Centered Medical Home
- Academy of Medical Psychology. (n.d.). Medical psychology. Retrieved October 16, 2012 from http://www.amphome.org.
- Accenture (2012). U.S. among leaders in healthcare IT use and adoption. Accenture eight-country study reports. News Releases. Retrieved August 20, 2012, from http://newsroom.accenture.com/news/us-among-leaders-in-healthcare-it-use-andadoption-accenture-eight-country-study-reports.htm.
- American Board of Professional Psychology. (2012). Application and practice sample preparation manual. American Board of Clinical Health Psychology. Retrieved October 7, 2012, from http://www.abpp.org/files/page-specific/3353%20Clinical%20Health/01_Application_&_Practice_Sample_Prep_Manual.pdf.
- American Board of Professional Psychology. (n.d.). Clinical psychology. Retrieved October 7, 2012, from http://www.abpp.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3307.
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Inc. (n.d.). Psychiatry. Retrieved October 7, 2012, from http://www.abpn.com/psych.html.
- American Psychological Association. (2012a). Public description of clinical psychology Retrieved September 6, 2012 from http://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/clinical.aspx.
- American Psychological Association. (2012b). Recognized specialties and proficiencies in professional psychology. Retrieved September 6, 2012, from http://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/recognized.aspx.
- American Psychological Association. (2012c). Public description of psychopharmacology. Retrieved October, 7, 2012 from http://www.apa.org/ed/graduate/specialize/psychopharm.aspx.
- Blount, A. (2010). The role of behavioral healthcare in the patient-centered medical home. Health care reform and future workforce needs: Addressing the needs of racial and ethnic minority patients and other underserved populations. Retrieved October 7, 2012, from http://www.iom.edu/~/media/Files/Activity%20Files/SelectPops/HealthDisparities/2010-SEP-13/Blount.pdf.
- Brockenbrough, G. (2011). CDC survey shows half of office-based physicians using EMRs. Orthopedics Today. February, 2011. Retrieved August 23, 2012, from http://www.healio.com/orthopedics/business-of-orthopedics/news/print/orthopedics-today/%7B13BE9E20-1E66-45F2-8DF0-45BB81A16934%7D/CDC-survey-shows-half-of-office-based-physicians-using-EMRs.
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (2011, January 14). Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. U.S, Department of Health and Human Services. (Vol. 60).Google Scholar
- Collingwood, J. (2012). The relationship between mental and physical health. Psych Central. Retrieved August 20, 2012, from http://psychcentral.com/lib/2010/the-relationship-between-mental-and-physical-health/.
- Collins, C., Levis Hewson, D., Munger, R., & Wade, T. (2010). Evolving models of behavioral health integration in primary care. NY: Milbank Memorial Fund. Retrieved October 7, 2012 from http://www.milbank.org/reports/10430EvolvingCare/10430EvolvingCare.html.
- Goldberg. D. (2003). Psychiatry and primary care. World Psychiatry, 2, 153–157. PMCID: PMC1525094.Google Scholar
- Honikman. S., van Heyningen, T., Field, S., Baron, E., & Tomlinson, M. (2012). Stepped care for maternal mental health: A case study of the perinatal mental health project in South Africa. PLOS Med 9 e1001222. doi:10.1371/journal.pmed.1001222. Retrieved October 7, 2012 from http://www.plosmedicine.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pmed.1001222.
- Institute of Medicine. (2002). The future of the public’s health in the 21st century: Shaping the future for health. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, R., Kiima, D., Okonji, M., Njenga, F., Kingora, J., & Lock, S. (2010). Integration of mental health into primary care and community health working in Kenya: Context, rationale, coverage and sustainability. Mental Health and Family Medicine, 7, 37–47. PMCID: PMC2925163.Google Scholar
- McGrath, R. E., & Moore, B. A. (Eds.). (2010). Pharmacotherapy for psychologists. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- McGuinness, KM & Tilus, MR (2010). Prescribing in the United States Public Health Service. In R. McGrath & B. Moore (Eds.), Pharmacotherapy for psychologists: Prescribing and collaborative roles (pp. 201–219). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.Google Scholar
- McGuinness, K. M., Tilus, M. R., McGuinness, E. M., & Sa, M. (2012). Differential diagnosis in medical psychology. In M. Muse & B. A. Moore (Eds.), Handbook of clinical psychopharmacology for psychologists (pp. 283–320). Hoboken: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Morrissey, JP, Thomas, KC, Ellis, AR, & Konrad, TR (2007). Development of a new method for designation of mental health professional shortage areas. Unpublished report prepared under contract HHSH-230200532038C with the Bureau of Health Professions, Health Resources and Services Administration, Department of Health and Human Services. Retrieved July 15, 2012 from http://www.shepscenter.unc.edu/researchprograms/mental_health/publications/morrissey_etal_mhpsa_report_2007.pdf.
- Patient Centered Primary Care Collaborative. (2007). Joint principles of the patient-centered medical home. Retrieved July 15, 2012 from http://www.pcpcc.net/content/joint-principles-patient-centered-medical-home.
- Practice within State by Corps Member, 42 U.S.C. §254f(e). Retrieved July 15, 2012 from http://us-code.vlex.com/vid/health-professional-shortage-areas-19251269.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2012). Center for Behavioral Health Statistics and Quality. (April 5, 2012). The NSDUH Report: Physical health conditions among adults with mental illnesses. Rockville, MD. Retrieved August 20, 2012 from http://www.samhsa.gov/data/2k12/NSDUH103/SR103AdultsAMI2012.pdf.
- U.S. Census Bureau (n.d. a). State and County QuickFacts. U.S. Department of Commerce. Retrieved August 23, 2012 from http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/35/3514250.html.
- U.S. Census Bureau (n.d. b). American FactFinder. U.S. Department of Commerce. Retrieved August 23, 2012 from http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_10_5YR_S1601&prodType=table.