Online set multicover algorithms for dynamic D2D communications
- 100 Downloads
Motivated by the dynamic resource allocation problem for device-to-device (D2D) communications, we study the online set multicover problem (OSMC). In the online set multicover, the set X of elements to be covered is unknown in advance; furthermore, the coverage requirement of each element \(x \in X\) is initially unknown. Elements of X together with coverage requirements are presented one at a time in an online fashion; and a feasible solution must be maintained at all times. We provide the first deterministic, online algorithms for OSMC with competitive ratios. We consider two versions of OSMC; in the first, each set may be picked only once, while the second version allows each set to be picked multiple times. For both versions, we present the first deterministic, online algorithms, with competitive ratios \(O( \log n \log m )\) and \(O( \log n (\log m + \log k) )\), repectively, where n is the number of elements, m is the number of sets, and k is the maximum coverage requirement. By simulation, we show the efficacy of these algorithms for resource allocation in the D2D setting by analyzing network throughput and other metrics, obtaining a large improvement in running time over offline methods.
KeywordsOnline algorithm Set multicover Optimization D2D communications Resource allocation
This work partially supported by NSF CAREER 0953284, and NSF CNS-1443905.
- Kaufman B, Aazhang B (2008) Cellular networks with an overlaid device to device network. Signals Syst Comput. 2008 42nd Asilomar conference on. IEEEGoogle Scholar
- Kuhnle A, Li X, Thai MT (2014) Online algorithms for optimal resource management in dynamic D2D communications. In: 10th international conference on mobile ad-hoc and sensor networks (IEEE MSN2014)Google Scholar
- Lee DH, Choi KW, Jeon WS, Jeong DG (2013) Resource allocation scheme for device-to-device communication for maximizing spatial reuse. In: Wireless communications and networking conference (WCNC). IEEE, pp 112–117Google Scholar
- López-Pérez D, Valcarce A, De La Roche G, Zhang J (2009) OFDMA femtocells: a roadmap on interference avoidance. IEEE Commun Mag 47(9)Google Scholar
- Nguyen NP, Xuan Y, Thai MT (2010) A novel method for worm containment on dynamic social networks. In: Military communications conference, 2010-MILCOM 2010. IEEE, pp 2180–2185Google Scholar
- Novlan TD, Ganti RK, Ghosh A, Andrews JG (2011) Analytical evaluation of fractional frequency reuse of OFDMA cellular networks. IEEE Trans Wirel Commun 10(12):4294–4305Google Scholar
- Zulhasnine M, Huang C, Srinivasan A (2010) Efficient resource allocation for device-to-device communication underlaying LTE network. Proc IEEE WiMob 2010:368–375Google Scholar