HPLC analysis of components released from dental composites with different resin compositions using different extraction media
- 603 Downloads
Components released from dental composite resins are essential factors in the assessment of biocompatibility of these materials. The effect of different extraction media on monomer release from composite resins based on different monomer types was evaluated. Three types of visible light cured composite resins were formulated based on the following monomers: triethylene glycol dimethacrylate (TEGDMA), bisphenol A glycerolate dimethacrylate (BisGMA), and urethane dimethacrylate (UDMA). Seventy-five composite resin discs were fabricated and light cured for 1 min in the absence of oxygen. Extraction media used were: distilled water, saline solution, artificial saliva, serum-free culture medium, and culture medium with 10% fetal calf serum. The analysis of extracts from the composite resins was carried out by High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC). Quantifiable amounts of TEGDMA were released into the aqueous media. However, BisGMA and UDMA were not detectable in any of the extracts from the composite resins. Statistical analysis by one-way ANOVA followed by Tukey’s test showed that there was a significant difference in TEGDMA release between culture media and other media (p < 0.05). From the results of this experiment it can be concluded that TEGDMA-based composite resins can release a high quantity of monomer into aqueous environments. The type of extraction medium may have a significant effect on monomer release from composite resins.
KeywordsHigh Performance Liquid Chromatography Composite Resin High Performance Liquid Chromatography Analysis Extraction Medium Resin Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.A. HENSTEN-PETTERSEN, Eur. J. Oral. Sci. 106 (1998) 707.Google Scholar
- 6.B. WILLERSHAUSEN, D. SCHAFER, A. PISTORIUS, R. SCHULZE and W. MANN, Eur. J. Med. Res. 4 (1999) 149.Google Scholar
- 15.G. F. VALLE, J. F. TAINTOR and C. L. MARSH, J. Endod. 6 (1980) 400.Google Scholar
- 19.K. TANAKA, M. TAIRA, H. SHINTANI, K. WAKASA and M. YAMAKI, J. Oral. Rehabil. 18 (1991) 353.Google Scholar
- 21.J. L. FERRACANE, J. Oral. Rehabil. 21 (1994) 441.Google Scholar