Piezoelectric generators for biomedical and dental applications: Effects of cyclic loading
- 255 Downloads
This paper presents the results of a study of the effect of cyclic loading parameters on the performance of piezo crystals. The output power of the crystals was observed to increase with parameters such as the cyclic frequency and the dynamic load range. However, the output power also decreased with increasing mean load. The efficiency of the crystal was calculated based on the mechanical energy applied to the piezo crystal. The ratio of the electrical output to mechanical energy input was taken as the efficiency of the crystal. This ratio was seen to increase with the cycling frequency, and also with the dynamic load range. However, increasing mean load caused the efficiency to drop significantly. The implications of the results are discussed for possible applications implanted bioMEMS and microelectronics systems.
KeywordsOutput Voltage Piezoelectric Actuator Load Range Cyclic Frequency Bruxism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. G. ENGEL, W. C. NUNNALLY, J. BECKER, R. RAHMAN and C. KEAWBOONCHUAY, “Research progress on compact kinetic-to-electrical energy converters”, Presented in Proceedings of the 12th International Pulsed Power Conference, 1999, edited by C. K. Stallings, H., Monterey, CA, USA, IEEE, Vol. 1282 (1999) pp. 1287–1290.Google Scholar
- T. G. ENGEL, W. C. NUNNALLY and N. B. VANKIRK, “Compact kinetic-to-electrical energy conversion”, Presented in Digest of Technical Papers 11th IEEE International Pulsed Power Conference, (1997), edited by G.V. Cooperstein, I., Baltimore, MA, USA, IEEE, Vol. 1502 1503–1507.Google Scholar
- M. J. MADOU, “Fundamentals of Microfabrication: The Science of Miniaturization”, 2nd edn (CRC Press, 2004).Google Scholar
- T. A. KOVACS, “Micromachined Transducers” (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1998).Google Scholar
- M. COLLINSON, “Analysis of the Response Characteristics of Piezoelectric Cells in Cyclic Loading” (Princeton University, 2005).Google Scholar
- D. M. BRUNETTE, P.TENGVALL, M. TEXTOR and P. THOMSEN, “Titanium in Medicine” (Springer-Verlag, New York, 2001).Google Scholar
- T. R. MORNEBURG and P. A. PROSCHEL, “Measurement of masticatory forces and implant loads: A methodologic clinical study”, Int. J. Prosthodontics (Jan–Feb 2002).Google Scholar