Synthesis and characterization of Mg–Ti substituted barium hexaferrite (BaMg0.6Ti0.6Fe10.8O19) derived from millscale waste for microwave application
- 15 Downloads
Mg–Ti substituted barium hexaferrite (BaMg0.6Ti0.6Fe10.8O19) nanoparticles prepared by using steel millscale waste have been investigated towards the structural, magnetic and microwave properties. The samples were prepared using high-energy ball milling technique with the hematite (Fe2O3) as the raw utilized and processed from millscale waste product. The peaks with a single phase hexagonal structure of BaMg0.6Ti0.6Fe10.8O19 are identified at 1000 °C revealed from X-ray diffraction analysis. Higher saturation magnetization, Ms, with high crystallinity was observed in the sample due to the enhancement of superexchange interaction within the sample. The best maximum reflection loss of − 22.59 dB at the frequency and bandwidth of 9.42 GHz and 0.14 GHz was achieved in sample sintered at 1000 °C.
The authors would like to thank Institute of Advanced Technology (ITMA) and Department of Physics, Faculty of Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM) Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia for the measurements facilities and to Synchotron Light Research Institute (SLRI), Thailand for providing the services for Photoelectron Emission Spectroscopy. The authors also would like to thank the Universiti Putra Malaysia (Grant No. UPM/800-3/1/GP-IPS/9533300), (Grant No. UPM/700-2/GP-IPS/9580600) and (Grant No. UPM/700-1/2/2017/Geran Impak/9541600) for the financial supports.
- 2.M.M. Syazwan, M. Hashim, R.S. Azis, I. Ismail, S. Kanagesan, A.N. Hapishah, Enhancing absorption properties of Mg-Ti substituted barium hexaferrite nanocomposite through the addition of MWCNT. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 28(12), 8429–8436 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.A.N. Hapishah, M.M. Syazwan, M.N. Hamidon, Synthesis and characterization of magnetic and microwave absorbing properties in polycrystalline cobalt zinc ferrite (Co0.5Zn0.5Fe2O4) composite. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 29, 20573–20579 (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.N.N. Che Muda, R.S. Azis, M. Hashim, J. Hassan, S. Sulaiman, N. Daud, M. Sharani, N.M. Azizan, A.H. Musa, M.A, Synthesis and characterization of barium hexaferrites derived from steel waste by ammonium nitrate salt melt synthesis. J. Solid State Sci. Technol. Lett. 16, 73–77 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.A.H. Azizan, R.S. Azis, J. Hassan, M. Hashim, N.M. Mohd Shahrani, N. Daud, S. Sulaiman, C. Muda, N.N. Musa, M.A, Structural and magnetic properties of aluminum substituted yttrium iron garnet via sol-gel synthesis. J. Solid State Sci. Technol. Lett. 16, 58–61 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.R.S. Azis, M.M. Syazwan, N.M.M. Shahrani, A.N. Hapishah, R. Nazlan, F.M. Idris, I. Ismail, M.M.M. Zulkimi, I.R. Ibrahim, Z. Abbas, N.M. Saiden, Influence of sintering temperature on the structural, electrical and microwave properties of yttrium iron garnet (YIG). J. Mater. Sci. Mater. Electron. 29, 8390–8401 (2018)CrossRefGoogle Scholar