Investigation of structural, morphological and electrical properties of nanocomposite based on SnO2 nanoparticles filled polypyrrole matrix
- 245 Downloads
A facile solid-state approach was used to prepare polypyrrole-tin oxide (PPy–SnO2) (0–50 wt%) hybrid nanocomposites (NCs). The structure and morphology of the hybrid NCs were characterized using X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy, X-ray diffraction (XRD), Fourier transform infrared (FTIR), ultraviolet–visible (UV–Vis), field-emission scanning electron microscopy (FESEM), transmission electron microscopy (TEM) and atomic force microscopy (AFM) measurement techniques. Two point-probe method was used to study electrical transport properties of PPy–SnO2 hybrid NCs. The structures of SnO2 as well as PPy–SnO2 hybrid NCs (0–50%) were confirmed from the XRD patterns. The FESEM surface images of the hybrid NCs reveal uniform distribution of the SnO2 nanoparticles (NPs) in the PPy matrix. The characteristic FTIR peaks of PPy and UV–Vis absorption wavelength shift to a higher wavenumber and wavelength sides in PPy–SnO2 hybrid NCs, which are attributed to interaction of SnO2 NPs with PPy molecular chains. The negatively charged O2− surface of SnO2-NPs transfers electrons to polypyrrole which is in its highly reduced form. A strong localization of charge carriers in the reduced polypyrrole makes PPy–SnO2 hybrid NCs highly resistive.
KeywordsSnO2 Polypyrrole Stannic Chloride SnO2 Nanoparticles Chemical Oxidative Polymerization
Prof. V. B. Patil would like to thank DAE-BRNS for the financial support through scheme no. 34/14/21/2015-BRNS and RUSA Maharashtra for the financial support through scheme no. RUSA/R&I/2016/267.
- 3.K. Anuar, S. Murali, A. Fariz, H.N.M. Mahmud Ekramul, Conducting polymer/clay composites: preparation and characterization. Mater. Sci. 10, 255 (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.M.J. Madou, S.Y. Morison, Chemical Sensing with Solid State Devices. (Academic Press, San Diego, 1989)Google Scholar
- 28.B.T. Raut, P.R. Godse, S.G. Pawar, M.A. Chougule, V.B. Patil, Novel method for fabrication of polyaniline-CdS sensor for H2S gas detection. Measurements 45, 94–100 (2012)Google Scholar
- 29.E. Pretsch, P. Buhlmann, M. Badertscher, Structure Determination of Organic Compounds Tables of Spectral Data, 4th Revised and Enlarged Edition. (Springer, Berlin), p. 283Google Scholar
- 33.S.K. Tripathy, A. Mishra, S.K. Jha, R. Wahab, A.A. Al-Khedhairy, Microwave assisted hydrothermal synthesis of mesoporous SnO2 nanoparticles for ethanol sensing and degradation. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 24, 2082–2090 (2013)Google Scholar