Facile synthesis of SrFe12O19 nanoparticles and its photocatalyst application
- 207 Downloads
The strontium hexaferrite (SrFe12O19) nanoparticles have been successfully synthesized by co-precipitation route. The effect of various parameters such as calcination temperature and chelating agents were screened to achieve optimum condition. Different chelating agents such as amino acids (proline, alanine, aspartic acid) and surfactants (SDBS, PVP, and EDTA) were used. Compared with the amino acids, the surfactants increase the particle size and the best result was observed for alanine. The SrFe12O19 nanoparticles showed enhanced photocatalytic activity in the degradation of methyl orange under visible light irradiation (λ > 400 nm). The degradation rates of the methyl orange were measured to be as high as 95% in 220 min. The nanoparticles were also characterized by several techniques including FT-IR, XRD, SEM, and VSM. The VSM measurement showed a saturation magnetization value (Ms) of 32 emu/g. The SEM images proposed that the particles are almost spherical with an average particle size of 90 nm.
KeywordsPhotocatalytic Activity Methyl Orange Visible Light Irradiation Vibrate Sample Magnetometer SrFe12O19
Authors are grateful to council of University of Arak for providing financial support to undertake this work.
- 4.S. M. Hosseinpour-Mashkani, M. Ramezani, A. Sobhani-Nasab, M. Esmaeili-Zare, J. Mater. Sci. 26, 6086 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.M. Ramezani, A. Sobhani-Nasab, S. M. Hosseinpour-Mashkani, J. Mater. Sci. 26, 4848 (2016)Google Scholar
- 15.P. Shepherd, K. Mallick, R. Green, J. Mater. Sci. 18, 527 (2007)Google Scholar
- 21.M. Sadeghi, J. Mater. Sci. 27, 5796 (2016)Google Scholar
- 22.A. Sobhani-Nasab, M. Sadeghi, J. Mater. Sci. 27, 7933–7938 (2016)Google Scholar