The study of structural and optical properties of PVA:PbO2 based solid polymer nanocomposites
- 232 Downloads
In this work the structural and optical properties of PVA:PbO2 based solid polymer nanocomposites was investigated. The XRD results indicated the existence of both α and β phases of PbO2 distributed along the PVA matrix. The crystallite size of PbO2 particles was found to be in the nanoscale range (≈19 nm). A pronounced red shift in the absorption spectra and decreased energy gap of the nanocomposite films were observed upon the addition of various fractions of PbO2. These indicated an enhancement in the intermolecular interaction between the PVA host and PbO2 dopant. The plot of refractive index versus dopant fraction was successfully fitted to an empirical equation and a parabolic correlation was found between them, by which a homogeneous distribution of the PbO2 nanoparticles has been confirmed. The proposed Wemple–DiDomenico model in describing the optical band gap was seen to be inconsistent, implying that the PVA:PbO2 nanocomposite films does not obey this model. Consequently, a detailed elaboration on the optical and structural behaviours of the PVA:PbO2 system was given.
KeywordsPbO2 Single Oscillator Model PbO2 Nanoparticles Dopant Fraction Refractive Index Spectrum
The financial support of the University of Sulaimani is gratefully acknowledged. The authors also gratefully acknowledge the Department of Physics, University of Koya for the lab facilities provided to support this work.
- 6.M. Ghanipour, D. Dorranian, Effect of Ag-nanoparticles doped in polyvinyl alcohol on the structural and optical properties of PVA films. J. Nanomater. 2013 (2013). Article ID 897043Google Scholar
- 7.F.H.A. El-Kader, N.A. Hakeem, I.S. Elashmawi, A.M. Ismail, Structural, optical and thermal characterization of ZnO nanoparticles doped in PEO/PVA blend films. Aust. J. Basic Appl. Sci. 7, 608–619 (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.O. Abdullah, S.B. Aziz, K.M. Omer, Y.M. Salih, Reducing the optical band gap of polyvinyl alcohol (PVA) based nanocomposite. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 26, 5303–5309 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.S.B. Aziz, H.M. Ahmed, A.M. Hussein, A.B. Fathulla, R.M. Wsw, R.T. Hussein, Tuning the absorption of ultraviolet spectra and optical parameters of aluminum doped PVA based solid polymer composites. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 26, 8022–8028 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.F.F. Muhammad, S.B. Aziz, S.A. Hussein, Effect of the dopant salt on the optical parameters of PVA:NaNO3 solid polymer electrolyte. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 26, 521–529 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.O. Abdullah, D.A. Tahir, K. Kadir, Optical and structural investigation of synthesized PVA/PbS nanocomposites. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 26, 6939–6944 (2015)Google Scholar
- 29.S.B. Aziz, R.T. Abdulwahid, H.A. Rsaul, H.M. Ahmed, In situ synthesis of CuS nanoparticle with a distinguishable SPR peak in NIR region. J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 27, 4163–4171 (2016)Google Scholar
- 32.M. Fox, Optical Properties of Solids (Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2001)Google Scholar
- 38.J. Tauc, Amorphous and Liquid Semiconductors, 1st edn. (Plenum Publishing Company Ltd, London, 1974)Google Scholar