Synthesis and optical characterization of Pb(Zr0.53Ti0.47)O3 thin films on indium tin oxide/quartz substrates by a simplified sol–gel route
- 209 Downloads
Pb(Zr0.53Ti0.47)O3 (PZT 53/47) thin films were deposited onto commercial indium tin oxide (ITO)/quartz substrates using a simplified sol–gel acetic-acid route developed at our laboratory. The films were fully crystallized to the perovskite phase with the final surface roughness remaining relatively low (around 2 nm). Optical properties were studied by Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FT-IR) and UV–Vis reflection and transmission spectroscopy. Optical reflection and transmission were applied to determine film thickness, optical constants and energy band gap. A multi-layer oscillator model was assumed, with the film consisting on a bottom ITO-layer, an intermediate dense PZT layer and a top PZT + voids layer. A reasonably good fit was attained with the selected model. Hysteresis loops and ferroelectric fatigue confirmed that substitution of platinum by ITO as bottom electrode improves the ferroelectric behavior and maintains a reasonably good fatigue resistance.
KeywordsMorphotropic Phase Boundary Remnant Polarization Powder Diffraction File Cycle Frequency Single Layer Film
The authors are grateful to Ing. Eleazar Urbina, and M. C. Araceli Mauricio for their technical assistance. To Conacyt for the financial support in the project CB-2007-82843, the infrastructure facilities of (LIDTRA) Lab-2009-01-123630 and the economical support of Dra. Ma. Del Carmen Rodríguez in the national postdoctoral program. F. Calderon Piñar is grateful to Cinvestav, for his sabbatical stay.
- 1.W. Zhu, R.W. Vest, M.S. Tse, M.K. Rao, Z.Q. Liu, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 5, 173 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.K. Suu, in Advances in Ferroelectricity, ed. by A. Peláiz Barranco (InTech, 2012), p. 369Google Scholar
- 16.R. Mayén-Mondragón, J.M. Yánez-Limón, K.M. Moya-Canul, A. Herrera-Gomez, M. Vazquez-Lepe, F. Espinoza-Beltrán, A.M. López Beltrán, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 24, 1981 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.M.C. Rodríguez-Aranda, F. Calderón-Piñar, F.J. Espinoza-Beltrán, F.J. Flores-Ruiz, E. León-Sarabia, R. Mayén-Mondragón, J.M. Yáñez-Limón, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 25, 4806 (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.E.B. Araújo, E.C. Lima, J.D.S. Guerra, A.O. dos Santos, L.P. Cardoso, M.U. Kleinke, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 20, 415203 (2008)Google Scholar
- 29.M. Bell, P.C. Knight, G.R. Johnston, in Ferroelectric Thin Films: Synthesis and Basic Properties. Ferroelectricity and Related Phenomena, vol. 10, ed. by C.A. Paz de Araujo, J.F. Scott, G.W. Taylor (Gordon and Breach Publishers, 1996), p. 120Google Scholar
- 31.R. Fernández García, Preparación Y Propiedades de Láminas Ultradelgadas Policristalinas Ferroeléctricas de PbTiO3, Ph.D. Thesis, Autonomous University of Madrid, 2010Google Scholar