Influence of galia (Ga2O3) addition on the phase transformations and crystal growth behavior of zirconia (ZrO2)
- 7 Downloads
The effect of a galia (Ga2O3) addition on the crystallographic phase evolution and the crystal growth behavior of zirconia (ZrO2) rich powder were investigated. Binary compositions of galia–zirconia powder (on the zirconia-rich side of the quasi-binary phase diagram) were obtained by the sol–gel method and calcined at different temperatures for 2 h. Rietveld refinement (FullProf program) was used to determine the crystallographic phase composition. Crystal size was approximated based on X-ray diffractions analysis combined with estimates of average crystal size obtained by processing high-resolution scanning electron microscopy images. The surface area of the powders obtained was measured via the Brunauer–Emmett–Teller method. Zirconia–galia sol–gel powders were found to form tetragonal or mixed tetragonal–monoclinic solid solution phases depending on both composition and calcination temperature. It was shown that galia suppressed crystal growth process in zirconia, producing finer nano-powders with higher surface area compared to pure zirconia.
The authors thank the Ilse Katz Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology in Ben Gurion University of the Negev for their technical help and services. The authors would like to thank Prof. N. Frage and Dr. M. Sokol for their technical cooperation with the freeze-drying system. The authors would like to thank Mr. Y. George and Dr. M. Harush for their technical help and consultation.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The work was supported by the Israel Ministry of Natural Infrastructures Energy and Water Resources Grant (3/15), No. 215-11-022.
- 6.Stepanov S, Nikolaev V, Bougrov V et al (2016) Gallium oxide: properties and applica a review. Rev Adv Mater Sci 44:63–86Google Scholar
- 10.Barret P, Berthet P (1997) EXAFS study of nanocrystalline solid solutions synthesized in the ZrO2–Ga2O3, System. J Phys IV 7:483–490Google Scholar
- 11.Barret P, Berthet P (1997) Preparation and characterization of nanocrystalline ZrO2–Ga2O3 solid solutions. J Phys III 7:C2-1141–C2-1142Google Scholar
- 12.Kimmel G, Zabicky J, Goncharov E et al (2004) Phase mapping of multi-component oxides derived from sol–gel precursors. J Metastab Nanocryst Mater 20:576–581Google Scholar
- 21.Haneda M, Kintaichi Y, Shimada H et al (1998) Ga2O3/Al2O3 prepared by sol-gel method as a highly active metal oxide-based catalyst for NO reduction by propene in the presence of oxygen, H2O and SO2. Chem Lett 27Google Scholar