Photocatalytic degradation of ketorolac tromethamine (KTC) using Ag-doped ZnO microplates
- 369 Downloads
In this study, Ag-doped ZnO microplates were prepared via precipitation technique and further characterized by FESEM, EDS, XRD, FTIR, TGA, XPS, UV-DRS and RT-PL techniques. The outcomes indicated that Ag+ ions were well incorporated into ZnO lattice leading to the absorption of ZnO in visible region as well as effective charge separation. The photocatalytic experiments exhibited that Ag-doped ZnO microplates show higher catalytic activity (91%) than bare ZnO (71%) for the degradation of KTC drug under solar illumination. The photocatalytic degradation of KTC drug over Ag-doped ZnO microplates obeyed pseudo first-order kinetics model. Also, the role of active species was examined by the addition of several scavengers in the photocatalytic degradation system. The results indicated that h+, ·OHs, 1O2 and ·OH were considered as prime reactive species in photocatalytic degradation process.
KeywordsPhotocatalytic Activity Photocatalytic Degradation Methyl Orange Degradation Efficiency Solar Light
The authors greatly acknowledge the TEQIP-II Grant of Dr. S. S. Bhatnagar UICET, Panjab University, Chandigarh, for funding.
- 1.Mahvelati-Shamsabadi T, Goharshadi EK (2017) Photostability and visible-light-driven photoactivity enhancement of hierarchical ZnS nanoparticles: the role of embedment of stable defect sites on the catalyst surface with the assistant of ultrasonic waves. Ultrason Sonochem 34:78–89CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Reddy BS, Reddy SV, Reddy NK, Kumari JP (2013) Synthesis, structural, optical properties and antibacterial activity of co-doped (Ag, Co) ZnO nanoparticles. Res J Mater Sci 1:11–20Google Scholar
- 24.Kaur A, Kansal SK (2016) Degradation of ofloxacin in aqueous phase using TiO2/ZnO. J Nanosci Nanotechnol -Asia 6:113–118Google Scholar
- 37.Ravishankar TN, Manjunatha K, Ramakrishnappa T, Nagaraju G, Kumar D, Sarakar S, Anandkumar BS, Chandrappa GT, Reddy V, Dupont J (2014) Comparison of the photocatalytic degradation of trypan blue by undoped and silver-doped zinc oxide nanoparticles. Mater Sci Semicond Process 26:7–17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 40.Kumar S, Singh V, Tanwar A (2016) Structural, morphological, optical and photocatalytic properties of Ag-doped ZnO nanoparticles. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 27:2166–2173Google Scholar