Structure of \(\langle 110 \rangle \)-tilt boundaries in cubic zirconia
- 193 Downloads
Atomic structures of \(\langle 110 \rangle \)-symmetrical tilt grain boundaries in yttria-stabilized cubic zirconia are investigated from a mathematical perspective. We predicted the unique arrangement of structural units along the grain boundaries which was confirmed experimentally by atomic-resolution scanning transmission electron microscopy.
This work was supported in part by the Elements Strategy Initiative for Structural Materials by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan, and the JSPS Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A) (No. 15H02290) and (C) (No. 15K06420). A part of this work was conducted at Advanced Characterization Nanotechnology Platform of the University of Tokyo, supported by “Nanotechnology Platform” of the MEXT, Japan.
- 10.Ikuhara Y (2011) Grain boundary atomic structures and light-element visualization in ceramics: combination of Cs-corrected scanning transmission electron microscopy and first-principles calculations. J Electron Microsc 60(S1):S173–S188Google Scholar
- 13.Nakashima H, Takeuchi M (2000) Grain boundary energy and structure of \(\alpha \)-Fe \(\langle 110\rangle \) symmetric tilt boundary. Tetsu-to-Hagane 86(5):357–362Google Scholar
- 15.Tschopp MA, Coleman SP, McDowell DL (2015) Symmetric and asymmetric tilt grain boundary structure and energy in Cu and Al (and transferability to other fcc metals. Integr Mater Manuf Innov 4(11):1Google Scholar
- 18.Inoue K, Saito M, Chen C, Kotani M, Ikuhara Y (2016) Mathematical analysis and STEM observations of arrangement of structural units in \(\langle 001 \rangle \) symmetrical tilt grain boundaries. Microscopy 56(12):1945–1952Google Scholar
- 24.Zhang W-Z, Purdy GR (1993) O-lattice analyses of interfacial misfit II. Systems containing invariant lines. Philos Mag A 68(2):271–303Google Scholar