Photo-switchable spin-crossover iron(III) compound based on intermolecular interactions
- 433 Downloads
Iron(III) spin-crossover compounds, [Fe(qnal)2]CF3SO3·MeOH (1·MeOH) and [Fe(qnal)2]CF3SO3·acetone (1·acetone) were prepared and their spin transition properties were characterized by magnetic susceptibility measurement, Mössbauer spectroscopy and single crystal analysis. Two iron(III) compounds exhibited abrupt spin transition with thermal hysteresis loop (T 1/2↑ = 115 K and T 1/2↓ = 104 K for 1·MeOH, and T 1/2↑ = 133 K and T 1/2↓ = 130 K for 1·acetone). Single crystal analysis revealed both of the structures in high-spin (HS) and low-spin (LS) states for 1·acetone. The difference of bond length between the HS and LS states for 1·acetone was ~0.10 Å, which was corresponding to that of typical iron(III) SCO compounds. Specially, it showed strong intermolecular interactions by π–π stacking formed between the neighbor complexes leading to 2-D sheet. Both 1·MeOH and 1·acetone exhibited LIESST effect when it was illuminated at 1000 nm. We also confirmed that the introduction of strong intermolecular interactions, such as π–π stacking, can play an important role in LIESST effect.
KeywordsIron(III) Spin-crossover LIESST Intermolecular interaction
We thank for the financial support the Grant-in-Aids for Science Research (No. 20350028) from the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of the Japanese Government and for Priority Area “Coordination Programming” (area 2107) from the MEXT of Japan.Y. H. L. was also supported by the JSPS program of Postdoctoral Fellowships for Foreign Researchers (No. 2200341).
- 3.Gütlich, P., Goodwin, H.A.: Spin crossover in transition metal compounds I, II, III. Top. Curr. Chem. 233–235 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Letard, J.-F., Guionneau, P., Codjovi, E., Lavastre, O., Bravic, G., Chasseau, D., Kahn, O.: Wide thermal hysteresis for the mononuclear spin-crossover compound cis-Bis(thiocyanato)bis[N-(2′1-pyridylmethylene)-4-(phenylethynyl)aniline]iron(II). J. Am. Chem. Soc. 119, 10861 (1997)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Vreugdenhil, W., Van Diemen, J.H., De Graaff, R.A.G., Haasnoot, J.G., Reedijk, J., Van der Kraan, A.M., Kahn, O., Zarembowitch, J.: High-spin α low-spin transition in [Fe(NCS)2(4,4′-bis-1,2,4-triazole)2](H2O). X-ray crystal structure and magnetic, mössbauer and EPR properties. Polyhedron 9, 2971 (1990)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Real, J.A., Gaspar, A.B., Munoz, M.C.: Thermal, pressure and light switchable spin-crossover materials. Dalton Trans. 2062 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Decurtins, S., Gütlich, P., Koehler, C.P., Spiering, H.: New example of light-induced excited spin state trapping (LIESST) in iron(II) spin-crossover systems. J. Chem. Soc., Chem. Comm. 430 (1985)Google Scholar