Model-Based Helicopter UAV Control: Experimental Results
- 556 Downloads
Small helicopter dynamics are coupled, nonlinear, and underactuated. Therefore, helicopter control poses a challenging problem which is of wide interest due to possible applications. Although helicopter UAV control is an applied research field, there are relatively few experimental results. Previously published experimental results for attitude control are extended to include position control for time-varying reference trajectories. The translational control is derived in both the navigation and body-fixed frames, and the resulting expressions are shown to be locally equivalent. Closed-loop stability is shown using a Lyapunov analysis and conditions for asymptotic stability on the gains are derived.
KeywordsHelicopter UAV autopilot Experimental helicopter platform Model-based control Helicopter modeling and control
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Castillo, P., Lozano, R., Dzul, A.E.: Modelling and Control of Mini-Flying Machines. Springer, London (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Farrell, J.A.: Aided Navigation: GPS with High Rate Sensors. McGraw-Hill, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Godbolt, B., Vitzilaios, N., Bergen, C., Lynch, A.F.: Experimental validation of a helicopter autopilot: time-varying trajectory tracking. In: Proceedings of the 2013 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems, Atlanta, pp. 391–396 (2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Kannan, S.K.: Adaptive control of systems in cascade with saturation. Ph.D. thesis, School of Aerospace Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Kendoul, F., Fantoni, I., Lozano, R.: Asymptotic stability of hierarchical inner-outer loop-based flight controllers. In: 17th IFAC World Congress, Seoul, pp. 1741–1746 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Koo, T.J., Sastry, S.: Output tracking control design of a helicopter model based on approximate linearization. In: Proceedings of the 37th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control, Tampa, pp. 3635–3640 (1998)Google Scholar
- 15.van Nieuwstadt, M.J., Murray, R.M.: Outer flatness: trajectory generation for a model helicopter. In: Proceedings of the European Control Conference (CD-ROM), Brussels (1997)Google Scholar
- 18.ANCL/autopilot - Github: http://github.com/ANCL/autopilot (2012). Accessed 5 June 2013