A state-of-the-art survey of Digital Twin: techniques, engineering product lifecycle management and business innovation perspectives
- 181 Downloads
With the rapid advancement of cyber-physical systems, Digital Twin (DT) is gaining ever-increasing attention owing to its great capabilities to realize Industry 4.0. Enterprises from different fields are taking advantage of its ability to simulate real-time working conditions and perform intelligent decision-making, where a cost-effective solution can be readily delivered to meet individual stakeholder demands. As a hot topic, many approaches have been designed and implemented to date. However, most approaches today lack a comprehensive review to examine DT benefits by considering both engineering product lifecycle management and business innovation as a whole. To fill this gap, this work conducts a state-of-the art survey of DT by selecting 123 representative items together with 22 supplementary works to address those two perspectives, while considering technical aspects as a fundamental. The systematic review further identifies eight future perspectives for DT, including modular DT, modeling consistency and accuracy, incorporation of Big Data analytics in DT models, DT simulation improvements, VR integration into DT, expansion of DT domains, efficient mapping of cyber-physical data and cloud/edge computing integration. This work sets out to be a guide to the status of DT development and application in today’s academic and industrial environment.
KeywordsDigital Twin Cyber-physical system Business model Product lifecycle management Review
Advanced message queuing protocol
Constrained application protocol
Cyber physical systems
Design failure mode and effects analysis
Enterprise resource planning
Finite element method
Laboratory virtual instrument engineering workbench
Manufacturing execution system
Message queuing telemetry transport
Network time protocol
Open motion planning library
- OPC UA
Open platform communication unified architecture
Open systems interconnection
Prognostics and health management
Programmable logic controller
Product lifecycle management
Precision time protocol
- RAMI 4.0
Reference architecture model Industry 4.0
Supervisory control and data acquisition
Simple hierarchical data representation
Simple object access protocol
Standard for exchange of product model data
Transmission control protocol/ internet protocol
User datagram protocol
Verification validation and accreditation
Wireless highway addressable remote transducer protocol
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support of the Start-up Fund for New Recruits (1-BE2X, Project ID: P0031040) from the Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, and the National Research Foundation (NRF) Singapore under the Corporate Laboratory @ University Scheme (Ref. RCA-16/434; SCORP1) at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Ardanza, A., Moreno, A., Segura, Á., de la Cruz, M., & Aguinaga, D. (2019). Sustainable and flexible industrial human machine interfaces to support adaptable applications in the Industry 4.0 paradigm. International Journal of Production Research,57(12), 4045–4059. https://doi.org/10.1080/00207543.2019.1572932.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bottani, E., Cammardella, A., Murino, T., & Vespoli, S. (2017). From the cyber-physical system to the digital twin: the process development for behaviour modelling of a cyber guided vehicle in M2M logic. XXII Summer School Francesco TurcoIndustrial Systems Engineering, 1–7.Google Scholar
- Cavalcante, I. M., Frazzon, E. M., Forcellini, F. A., & Ivanov, D. (2019). A supervised machine learning approach to data-driven simulation of resilient supplier selection in digital manufacturing. International Journal of Information Management,49(February), 86–97. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijinfomgt.2019.03.004.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cheng, Y., Zhang, Y., Ji, P., Xu, W., Zhou, Z., & Tao, F. (2018). Cyber-physical integration for moving digital factories forward towards smart manufacturing: a survey. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology,97(1–4), 1209–1221. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-018-2001-2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Coronado, P. D. U., Lynn, R., Louhichi, W., Parto, M., Wescoat, E., & Kurfess, T. (2018). Part data integration in the shop floor digital twin: Mobile and cloud technologies to enable a manufacturing execution system. Journal of Manufacturing Systems,48, 25–33. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmsy.2018.02.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dassault Systèmes. (2018). Meet Virtual Singapore, the city’s 3D digital twin. GovInsider, 1–3. https://govinsider.asia/digital-gov/meet-virtual-singapore-citys-3d-digital-twin/. Accessed 22 June 2019.
- Defraeye, T., Tagliavini, G., Wu, W., Prawiranto, K., Schudel, S., Kerisima, M. A., et al. (2019). Digital twins probe into food cooling and biochemical quality changes for reducing losses in refrigerated supply chains. Resources, Conservation and Recycling,149(June), 778–794. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2019.06.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Denos, B. R., Sommer, D. E., Favaloro, A. J., Pipes, R. B., & Avery, W. B. (2018). Fiber orientation measurement from mesoscale CT scans of prepreg platelet molded composites. Composites Part A Applied Science and Manufacturing,114(April), 241–249. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesa.2018.08.024.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dupláková, D., Flimel, M., Duplák, J., Hatala, M., Radchenko, S., & Botko, F. (2019). Ergonomic rationalization of lighting in the working environment. Part I: Proposal of rationalization algorithm for lighting redesign. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics,71, 92–102. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ergon.2019.02.012.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Freeman, H. (2016). Streaming analytics 101: The what, why, and how. http://www.dataversity.net/streaming-analytics-101/. Accessed 22 June 2019.
- Gartner. (2019). Top 10 strategic technology trends for 2019. Gartner, (March 2019), 12. https://www.gartner.com/en/doc/3891569-top-10-strategic-technology-trends-for-2019. Accessed 22 June 2019.
- GE. (2016). GE digital twin analytic engine for the digital power plant. https://www.ge.com/digital/sites/default/files/download_assets/Digital-Twin-for-the-digital-power-plant-.pdf. Accessed 22 June 2019.
- Gilchrist, A. (2016). Industry 4.0: the industrial internet of things. Apress.Google Scholar
- I-Scoop. (2017, November 11). Digital twin technology and simulation : Benefits, usage and predictions 2018 (pp. 1–6).Google Scholar
- Kim, B. H., Park, J. H., Son, J. Y., Lee, J. Y., Kim, H., Kang, H. S., et al. (2016). Smart manufacturing: Past research, present findings, and future directions. International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing-Green Technology,3(1), 111–128. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40684-016-0015-5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kucera, R., Aanenson, M., & Benson, M. (2016). The Augmented Digital Twin: Combining physical and virtual data to unlock the value of IoT. White Paper. http://www.iot.gen.tr/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/wp_112_the_augmented_digital_twin_2016-01_reva_digital_final.pdf.
- Leng, J., Zhang, H., Yan, D., Liu, Q., Chen, X., & Zhang, D. (2018). Digital twin-driven manufacturing cyber-physical system for parallel controlling of smart workshop. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing,10(3), 1155–1166. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12652-018-0881-5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lu, Y., Min, Q., Liu, Z., & Wang, Y. (2019). An IoT-enabled simulation approach for process planning and analysis: a case from engine re-manufacturing industry. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing,32(4–5), 413–429. https://doi.org/10.1080/0951192X.2019.1571237.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- MacDonald, C., Dion, B., & Davoudabadi, M. (2017). Creating a digital twin for a pump. ANSYS Advance, 1, 8–10.Google Scholar
- Mishra, D., Roy, R. B., Dutta, S., Pal, S. K., & Chakravarty, D. (2018). A review on sensor based monitoring and control of friction stir welding process and a roadmap to Industry 4.0. Journal of Manufacturing Processes,36, 373–397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2018.10.016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moreno, A., Velez, G., Ardanza, A., Barandiaran, I., de Infante, Á. R., & Chopitea, R. (2017). Virtualisation process of a sheet metal punching machine within the Industry 4.0 vision. International Journal on Interactive Design and Manufacturing,11(2), 365–373. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12008-016-0319-2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nasir, M. F. M., Rahim, A. R. A., & Hamzah, H. S. (2016). Supply chain management framework development for new multiple life cycle product development. In IEEE international conference on industrial engineering and engineering management, 2016-December (pp. 812–816). https://doi.org/10.1109/ieem.2016.7797989.
- Nikolakis, N., Alexopoulos, K., Xanthakis, E., & Chryssolouris, G. (2019). The digital twin implementation for linking the virtual representation of human-based production tasks to their physical counterpart in the factory-floor. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing,32(1), 1–12. https://doi.org/10.1080/0951192X.2018.1529430.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Oracle. (2017). Digital twins for IoT applications: A comprehensive approach to implementing IoT digital twins, (January) (pp. 1–9). https://www.oracle.com/assets/digital-twins-for-iot-apps-wp-3491953.pdf. Accessed 22 June 2019.
- Oyekan, J. O., Hutabarat, W., Tiwari, A., Grech, R., Aung, M. H., Mariani, M. P., et al. (2018). The effectiveness of virtual environments in developing collaborative strategies between industrial robots and humans. Robotics and Computer-Integrated Manufacturing,55, 41–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rcim.2018.07.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Park, K. T., Im, S. J., Kang, Y. S., Noh, S. D., Kang, Y. T., & Yang, S. G. (2019). Service-oriented platform for smart operation of dyeing and finishing industry. International Journal of Computer Integrated Manufacturing,32(3), 307–326. https://doi.org/10.1080/0951192X.2019.1572225.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Research, G. V. (2018). Digital twin market size, share & trends analysis report by end use. Market Research Report.Google Scholar
- Tabar, R. S., Wärmefjord, K., & Söderberg, R. (2019). A method for identification and sequence optimisation of geometry spot welds in a digital twin context. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science,233(16), 5610–5621. https://doi.org/10.1177/0954406219854466.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, H. K., Haynes, R., Huang, H. Z., Dong, L., & Atluri, S. N. (2015). The use of high-performance fatigue mechanics and the extended Kalman/particle filters, for diagnostics and prognostics of aircraft structures. CMES - Computer Modeling in Engineering and Sciences,105(1), 1–24.Google Scholar
- Zobel-Roos, S., Schmidt, A., Mestmäcker, F., Mouellef, M., Huter, M., Uhlenbrock, L., et al. (2019). Accelerating biologics manufacturing by modeling or: Is approval under the QbD and PAT approaches demanded by authorities acceptable without a digital-twin? Processes,7(2), 94. https://doi.org/10.3390/pr7020094.CrossRefGoogle Scholar