Predictive distant operation and virtual control of computer numerical control machines
- 464 Downloads
With the advancements of automation technologies, factory operations have shifted from labor-based to semi-automatic and fully automatic and may even become unmanned in the future. Therefore, the conditions of a factory can be monitored from a distance and the machines can be remotely controlled. This study investigated the predictive distant operation of a computer numerical control (CNC) machine virtually controlled with hand gestures. Similar previous studies were conducted only involving robotic arms. Nevertheless, the attempt in this study is a crucial step toward entirely Internet- or cloud-based manufacturing. In the proposed methodology, meaningful hand gestures corresponding to eight commonly used CNC operations were established. Kinect was then used to track the skeletal information of an operator, and based on this information, the joint angles of the operator were derived using the space vector method. Four rules were then proposed to predict the hand gesture of the operator according to the changes of the joint angles when making the hand gestures to control the CNC machine. An experimental system was established to demonstrate the applicability of the proposed methodology. According to the experimental results, the eight hand gestures were recognized with favorable accuracy. In addition, analysis of variance was performed and the results indicated that the performance of the proposed methodology is robust to the operators’ differences.
KeywordsCloud manufacturing Kinect Human–computer interaction Predictive Distant operation Virtual control
This work was supported by Ministry of Science and Technology of Taiwan under the Grant MOST 103-2221-E-035-073-MY3.
- Binney, D., & Boehm, J. (2010). Performance evaluation of the PrimeSense IR projected pattern depth sensor. http://www-research.cege.ucl.ac.uk/Posters/2011PosterFair/88_Binney_Daniel.pdf.
- Gama, A. D., Chaves, T., Figueiredo, L., & Teichrieb, V. (2011). Improving motor rehabilitation process through a natural interaction based system using Kinect sensor. In IEEE symposium on 3D user interfaces (pp. 145–146).Google Scholar
- Huang, T. S., & Pavlovic, V. I. (1995). Hand gesture modeling, analysis and synthesis. In Proceedings of international workshop on automatic face and gesture recognition (pp. 73–79).Google Scholar
- Lange, B., Koenig, S., McConnell, E., Chang, C. Y., Juang, R., Suma, E., Bolas, M. , & Rizzo, A. (2012). Interactive game-based rehabilitation using the Microsoft Kinect. In IEEE virtual reality (pp. 171–172).Google Scholar
- Li, B. H., Zhang, L., & Wang, S. L. (2010). Cloud manufacturing: A service-oriented new networked manufacturing model. Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 16(1), 1–9.Google Scholar
- Lin, Z. (2014). Distant operation and virtual control of CNC machines. Master Thesis, Taiwan:Feng Chia University,Google Scholar
- Microsoft TechNet. (2014). Working of Microsoft’s PrimeSense technology based Kinect: An elaboration. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/6370.working-of-microsofts-primesense-technology-based-kinect-an-elaboration.aspx.
- Microsoft. (2014). Kinect for Windows. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/kinectforwindows/.
- OpenKinect.org. (2012). Welcome to the OpenKinect project. http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page.
- Pham, A. (2009). E3: Microsoft shows off gesture control technology for Xbox 360. Los Angeles Times.Google Scholar
- Smid, P. (2008). CNC programming handbook (3rd ed.). New York: Industrial Press.Google Scholar
- Smid, P. (2010). CNC control setup for milling and turning. New York: Industrial Press.Google Scholar
- Valentino, J., & Goldenberg, J. (2003). Introduction to computer numerical control (CNC). Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Wu, Q., Zhu, Q., & Zhou, M. (2014). A correlation-driven optimal service selection approach for virtual enterprise establishment. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, 25(6), 1441–1453.Google Scholar
- Zhang, L., Guo, H., Tao, F., Luo, Y. L., & Si, N. (2010). Flexible management of resource service composition in cloud manufacturing. IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (pp. 2278–2282).Google Scholar
- Zhenyao, M., & Neumann, U. (2006). Real-time hand pose recognition using low-resolution depth images. Proceedings of the 2006 IEEE computer society conference on computer vision and pattern recognition (Vol. 2, pp. 1499–1505).Google Scholar