An integrated optimization of location assignment and storage/retrieval scheduling in multi-shuttle automated storage/retrieval systems
- 748 Downloads
This paper deals with the location assignment and storage/retrieval scheduling problem simultaneously in multi-shuttle automated storage/retrieval systems. Both the situations of performing a single operation cycle and multiple operation cycles are considered. Two related models, including an integer programming model and a dynamic programming model, are developed to formulate the problem. A two-phase tabu search algorithm is proposed to solve the integer programming model for the situation of performing a single operation cycle. Based on the search results, a construction heuristic is developed to improve the solution for the situation of performing multiple operation cycles. The computational results show that the two-phase tabu search algorithm can find better solutions than GA + MNN methods especially for the large-sized problems. In addition, it reveals that the construction heuristic can also significantly improve the quality of the solution for the situation of performing multiple operation cycles.
KeywordsLocation assignment Storage/retrieval scheduling Multi-shuttle Automated storage and retrieval system Two-phase tabu search Construction heuristic
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 71202022) and the Postdoctoral Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 2012M510467).
- Francis, R. L., McGinnis, L. F., & White, J. A. (1992). Facility layout and location: An analytical approach. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Meller, R. D., & Mungwattana, A. (1997). Multi-shuttle automated storage/retrieval systems. IIE Transactions, 29(10), 925–938.Google Scholar
- Potrc, I., Lerher, T., Kramberger, J., & Sraml, M. (2004). Simulation model of multi-shuttle automated storage and retrieval systems. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 157–158(20), 236–244. Google Scholar
- Tanaka, S. (2007). A hybrid algorithm for the input/output scheduling problem of multi-shuttle AS/RSs. In International conference on instrumentation: Control and information technology. Kagawa, Japan: IEEE Press.Google Scholar
- Yang, P., Miao, L. X., & Qi, M. Y. (2011). Slotting optimization in a multi-shuttle automated storage and retrieval system. Computer Integrated Manufacturing Systems, 17(5), 1050–1055.Google Scholar