The development of competencies in manufacturing engineering by means of a deep-drawing tool
- 304 Downloads
This paper presents a Computer-aided System known as the deep-drawing tool applied to the resolution of a combined deep-drawing and ironing process. The system allows the user for selecting input data for getting the formability of material to deep-drawing, selecting the process that provides the best solution from a technological perspective, optimizing the process for material waste, knowing the influence of the punch in the results and considering the process cost. In this manner, the tool allows developing competencies to students that apply scientific, technological, mathematical, economical and sustainable knowledge, with a global vision of the manufacturing processes and conciliating research and teaching. An industrial case has been considered and the proposed Computer-aided System has been tested with a brass alloy to demonstrate the system’s capability. The results obtained show significant improvements in the two variables analyzed, namely, total process time and total manufacturing cost. These aspects provide competencies to students in the manufacturing environment.
KeywordsEngineering education Intelligent manufacturing Manufacturing planning Deep-drawing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chung, S. Y., Swift, S. H. (1975) An experimental investigation into the re-drawing of cylindrical shells. Proceedings of Institute of Mechanical Engineering Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture. 1B, pp. 437–447Google Scholar
- Dieter G. E. (1985) Mechanical metallurgy (3rd ed.). McGraw-Hill, NewYorkGoogle Scholar
- Ford H. (1986) Advanced mechanics of materials. Ellis Horwood Limited, ChichesterGoogle Scholar
- Iliescu C. (1990) Cold-pressing technology. Elsevier, BucharestGoogle Scholar
- Kusiak A. (2000) Computational intelligence in design and manufacturing. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Lange K. (1985) Handbook of metal forming. McGraw-Hill, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Mears, L., Omar, M., Kurfess, T. R. (2011). Automotive engineering curriculum development: Case study for Clemson University. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, doi: 10.1007/s10845-009-0329-z.
- O’Sullivan, D., Rolstadås, A., Filos, E. (2011). Global education in manufacturing strategy. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, doi: 10.1007/s10845-009-0326-2.
- Ramirez, F. J., Domingo, R. (2010). Application of an aided system to multi-step deep drawing process in the brass pieces manufacturing. In AIP conference on proceedings, Alcoy, Spain, vol. 1181, pp. 370–379.Google Scholar
- Ramírez, F. J., Domingo, R., Packianather, M. S., Sebastian, M. A. (2010a). Design and optimization of multi-step deep-drawing processes of axisymmetric cups by means of a scientific model. In Proceedings of the 2nd international on process machine interactions (pp. 10), Vancouver, Canada.Google Scholar
- Ramirez, F. J., Domingo, R., Sebastian, M. A. (2010b). An optimization algorithm for improving combined multi-stage deep-drawing and ironing processes of axisymmetric components. Analysis and Experimentation. In Proceedings of the 36th international MATADOR conference, Manchester, UKGoogle Scholar
- Sebastian M. A., Gonzalez C., Gomez E., Luis C. J. (1999) Consideraciones al estudio mecanico de los procesos de conformado por deformación plástica. Deformación metálica 244: 36–43Google Scholar
- Siebel E., Beisswänger H. (1995) Deep drawing. Carl Hanser, MunichGoogle Scholar