An information system to support the engineering designer
Engineering companies are currently shifting their focus from selling products to providing services, hence the products’ designers must increasingly consider life-cycle requirements, in addition to conventional design parameters. To identify possible areas of concern, engineers must consider knowledge throughout the life cycle of similar or related products. However, because of the size and distributed nature of a company’s operation, engineers often do not have access to front-line maintenance data. In addition, the large number of documents generated during the design and operation of a product makes it impractical to manually review all documents thoroughly during a task. As a case study, this paper discusses the concept and development of a large hypermedia based Knowledge Desktop that has been developed to support the maintenance and future design of aircraft engines. As part of the development cycle, the performance of the software and its acceptance by the user community has been fully evaluated. The evaluation method considered in this paper focuses on the subjective opinion of the users and measures the ease with which users could retrieve the information required to perform specific tasks.
KeywordsAerospace engineering Hypermedia User evaluation Semantic web Industrial application
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abbas, N., Gravell, A., & Wills, G. (2008). Historical roots of agile methods: Where did “agile thinking” come from? In Agile processes and eXtreme programming in software engineering.Google Scholar
- Alonso-Rasgado T., Thompson G. (2007) A rapid design process for total care product creation. Journal of Engineering Design 18(1): 509–585Google Scholar
- Beck K. (2000) Extreme programming explained: Embrace change. Addison-Wesley, MassachusettsGoogle Scholar
- Carr, L., Hall, W., Bechhofer, S., & Goble, C. (2001a). Conceptual linking: Ontology-based open hypermedia. In Proceedings of 10th international World Wide Web conference (WWW), Hong Kong (pp. 334–342).Google Scholar
- Carr, L., Kampa, S., & Miles-Board, T. (2001b). Metaportal final report: Building ontological hypermedia with the ontoportal framework. Techical report, IAM, ECS, University of Southampton.Google Scholar
- Carr, L., Miles-Board, T., Wills, G., & Grange, S. (2004a). Extending the role of digital library: Computer support for creating articles. In Proceedings of the 15th ACM conference on hypertext and hypermedia, Santa Cruz, USA (pp. 12–21).Google Scholar
- Carr, L., Miles-Board, T., Woukeu, A., Wills, G., & Hall, W. (2004b). The case for explicit knowledge in documents. In Proceedings of ACM symposium on document engineering, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (pp. 90–98).Google Scholar
- Christensen, E., Curbera, F., Meredith, G., & Weerawarana, S. (2001). Web Services Description Language (WSDL) 1.1. W3C note. http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl.
- Ciravegna, F., & Wilks, Y. (2003). Designing adaptive information extraction for the semantic web in Amilcare. In S. Handschuh, & S. Staab (Eds.), Annotation for the semantic web, IOP.Google Scholar
- Cohen, A., Maglio, P., & Barett, R. (1998). The expertise browser: How to leverage distributed organizational knowledge. In Workshop on collaborative information seeking at CSCW ’98, Seattle.Google Scholar
- Cooper A., Reimann R. (2003) About Face 2.0: The essentials of interaction design. Wiley, Hoboken, NJGoogle Scholar
- Crowder R., Hall W., Heath I., Wills G. (1998) Factory information provision using hypermedia. International Journal of Computer Applications in Technology 11: 442–453Google Scholar
- Crowder, R., Hughes, G., & Hall, W. (2002). An agent based approach to finding expertise. In D. Karagiannis, & U. Reimer (Eds.), Proceedings fourth international conference on practical aspects of knowledge management (vol. LNAI 2569, pp. 179–188). Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Crowder, R., Bracewell, R., Hughes, G., Kerr, M., Knott, D., Moss, M., Clegg, C., Hall, W., Wallace, K., & Waterson, P. (2003). A future vision for the engineering design environment: A future sociotechnical scenario. In A. Folkeson, K. Gralen, M. Norell, & U. Sellgren (Eds.), Proceedings of 14th international conference on engineering design, Stockholm (pp. 249–250).Google Scholar
- Dadzie A., Bhagdev R., Chakravarthy A., Chapman S., Iria J., Lanfranchi V., Magalhes J., Petrelli D., Ciravegna F. (2008) Applying semantic web technologies to knowledge sharing in aerospace engineering. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 20(5): 611–623. doi:10.1007/s10845-008-0141-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- De Bra, P., Aroyo, L., & Chepegin, V. (2004). The next big thing: Adaptive web-based systems. Journal of Digital Information. Article No. 247, 2004-05-27.Google Scholar
- Fowler, D., & Sleeman, D. (2004). The designers’ workbench: Using ontologies and constraints for configuration. In The twenty-fourth SGAI international conference on innovative techniques and applications of artificial intelligence. Queens’ College, Cambridge, UK.Google Scholar
- Guan, T., Fowler, D., Bandara, A., Zaluska, E., De Roure, D., Crowder, R., & Wills, G. (2009). Enhancing grid service discovery with a semantic wiki and the concept matching approach. In Proceedings of the 5th international conference on semantic, knowledge and grid.Google Scholar
- Harrison, A. (2006). Design for service—harmonising product design with a services strategy. In: Proceedings of GT2006, ASME turbo expo 2006: Power for land, sea and air, Barcelona, Spain.Google Scholar
- Highsmith, J., Beck, K., Cockburn, A., & Jeffries, R. (2001). Agile manifesto. www.agilemanifesto.org.
- Jackson, T., Austin, J., Jessop, M., Linag, B., Pasley, A., Ong, M., Allan, G., Kadirkamanathan, V., Thompson, H., & Fleming, P. (2005). Distributed health monitoring for aero-engines on the grid: Dame. In: Proceedings of IEEE Aerospace, Montana.Google Scholar
- Lanfranchi, V., Bhagdev, R., Chapman, S., Ciravegna, F., & Petrelli, D. (2007). Extracting and searching knowledge for the aerospace industry. In Proceedings of 1st European semantic technology conference, Vienna , Austria.Google Scholar
- Lowe D., Hall W. (1998) Hypermedia Engineering: The web and beyond. Wiley, Hoboken, NJGoogle Scholar
- Malcolm, K., Poltrock, S., Schuler, D. (1991). Industrial strength hypermedia: Requirements for a large engineering enterprise. In Proceedings hypertext ’91, Seattle (pp. 13–24).Google Scholar
- Maneewatthana, T., Wills, G., & Hall, W. (2005). Adaptive personal information environment based on the semantic web. InProceedings of hypertext 2005—Sixteenth ACM conference on hypertext and hypermedia, Salzburg, Austria.Google Scholar
- Manola, F., & Miller, E. (2004). RDF Primer. W3C recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-primer.
- McGuinness, D., & v Harmelen, F. (2004). OWL Web Ontology Language overview. W3C recommendation. http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features.
- Meta Group: (2003) Practical approaches to services-oriented architecture. Meta Group White Paper, StamfordGoogle Scholar
- Millard, D., Howard, Y., Jam, E., Chennupati, S., Davis, H., Gilbert, L., & Wills, G. (2006). FREMA method for describing web services in a service oriented architecture. Technical report ECSTR-IAM06-002, ECS, University of Southampton.Google Scholar
- Nnadi, N., & Bieber, M. (2004). Lightweight integration of documents and services. In DocEng ’04: Proceedings of the 2004 ACM symposium on document engineering (pp. 51–53). ACM Press, New York. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1030397.1030408.
- Priebe, T., & Pernul, G. (2003). Towards integrative enterprise knowledge portals. In CIKM ’03: Proceedings of the 12th international conference on information and knowledge management (pp. 216–223). New York, ACM Press. http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/956863.956906.
- Prud’hommeaux, E., & Seaborne, A. (2006). SPARQL query language for RDF. Techical report, W3C working draft. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query.
- Qiu R. (2009) Towards ontology-driven knowledge synthesis for heterogeneous information systems. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing 17(2): 99–106Google Scholar
- Reed, N., Scanlan, J., Wills, G., & Halliday, S. (2009). Providing value to a business using a lightweight design system to support knowledge reuse by designers. In Proceedings of 17th international conference on engineering design, Stanford, CA, USA (pp. 135–145).Google Scholar
- Sim, Y. W. (2004). Capturing organisational knowledge from documentation for expert finding. PhD thesis, School of Electronics and Computer Science, University of Southampton.Google Scholar
- Sprott, D., & Wilkes, L. (2004). Understanding service oriented architecture. http://msdn.microsoft.com/architecture/soa/default.aspx?pull=/library/e%n-us/dnmaj/html/aj1soa.asp.
- Wallace, K. M., Clegg, C., & Keane, A. (2001). Visions for engineering design: a multi-disciplinary perspective. In Proceedings of 13th international conference on engineering design, Glasgow, Scotland (pp. 107–114).Google Scholar
- Wills, G., Woukeu, A., Carr, L., & Hall, W. (2003). The need for semantic in web design. In: Semantic web workshop, fourteenth conference on hypertext and hypermedia.Google Scholar
- Wills, G., Fowler, D., Sleeman, D., Crowder, R., Kampa, S., Carr, L., Knott, & D. (2004). Issues in moving to a semantic web for a large corporation. In Proceedings of 5th international conference on practical aspects of knowledge management (PAKM) (vol 3336, pp. 378–388). Lecture notes in artificial intelligence.Google Scholar
- Wilson, S., Blinco, K., & Rehak, D. (2004). Service-oriented frameworks: Modelling the infrastructure for the next generation of e-learning systems. In JISC, Bristol.Google Scholar
- Wong, S., Crowder, R., Wills, G., & Shadbolt, N. (2006). Knowledge engineering - from front-line support to preliminary design. In ACM symposium on document engineering(DocEng).Google Scholar
- Wong, S., Crowder, R., Wills, G., & Shadbolt, N. (2007). Lesson learnt from a large-scale industrial semantic web application. In 18th ACM conference on hypertext and hypermedia.Google Scholar
- Xu, X., & Wang, Z. (2009). State of the art: Business service and its impact on manufacturing. Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing. doi:10.1007/s10845-009-0325-3.