A signal calculation grid for quantum-dot cellular automata
- 115 Downloads
The quantum-dot cellular automata (QCA) computing paradigm presents great promise as a potential strategy for future nanocomputing devices. Perhaps the greatest challenge facing the QCA architecture is finding a robust wire crossing strategy. In this paper, the recently introduced QCA signal distribution grid is extended to carry out generalized sum-of-products and product-of-sums calculations that are performed concurrently with signal distribution. The new signal calculation grid is capable of performing an arbitrary number of simultaneous programmable Boolean operations on an arbitrary number of inputs, and the time required to perform all of these parallel calculations is just seven clock cycles.
KeywordsNanoelectronics Quantum-dot cellular automata (QCA) Wire crossing Signal distribution Boolean logic
This work was supported by the Leitha and Willard Richardson Professorship of Engineering and the Richardson Summer Research Fellowship, both of which are provided through the Valparaiso University College of Engineering.
- 10.Tougaw, D.: A clocking strategy for scalable and fault-tolerant QDCA signal distribution in combinational and sequential devices. In: Anderson, N.G., Bhanja, S. (eds.) Field Coupled-Nanocomputing: Paradigms, Processes, and Perspectives. Springer, Berlin (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Chaudhary, A., Chen, D.Z., Hu, X.S., Whitton, K., Niemier, M., Ravichardran, R.: Eliminating wire crossings for molecular quantum-dot cellular automata implementation. In: Proceedings of IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-Aided Design (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Smith, B., Lim, S.K.: QCA channel routing with wire crossing minimization. In: Proceedings of the Great Lakes Symposium on VLSI (2005)Google Scholar
- 19.Chung, W.J., Smith, B., Lim, S.K.: QCA physical design with crossing minimization. In: Proceedings of the 2005 5th IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.Bhanja, S., Ottavi, M., Lombardi, F., Pontarelli, S.: Novel designs for thermally robust coplanar crossing in QCA. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Design, Automation and Test in Europe (2006)Google Scholar