Simulation of Power Gain and Dissipation in Field-Coupled Nanomagnets
- 168 Downloads
Coupled nanomagnetic dots were proposed as a promising way to realize computing devices. This paper investigates power flow phenomena in these structures. Using micromagnetic simulations we will demonstrate that the power dissipation of those devices is close to the theoretical lowest limit of any computation and that coupled nanomagnets exhibit power gain, i.e. they are active devices. These results suggest that magnetic computing could be a functionally equivalent replacement of transistor-based circuits in signal processing applications, where robust, low-power operation is crucial.
Keywordsnanomagnetics field-coupled computing active circuits adiabatic clocking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Lent, P.D. Tougaw, W. Porod, and G.H. Bernstein, “Quantum cellular automata,” Nanotechnology, 4 (1993).Google Scholar
- 2.R.P. Cowburn and M.E. Welland, “Room Temperature Magnetic Quantum Cellular Automata,” Science, 287, February (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.W. Frensley, “Systematic properties of active technologies,” 61st Device Research Conference, Salt Lake City, June 2003.Google Scholar
- 6.A. Csurgay, W. Porod, and C.S. Lent, “Signal processing with near-neighbor coupled time-varying quantum-dot arrays,” IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems, 47(8) (2000).Google Scholar
- 7.A. Hubert and R. Schafer, Magnetic Domains (Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, August 1998) vol. I.Google Scholar
- 11.M.J. Donahue and D.G. Porter, “OOMMF User’s Guide, Version 1.0 Interagency Report NISTIR 6376,” online: http://math.nist.gov/oommf/
- 12.G. Csaba, P. Lugli, and W. Porod, “Power dissipation in nanomagnetic logic devices,” in Fourth IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology, Munich Germany, August 2004.Google Scholar
- 13.G.M. Ettinger, Magnetic Amplifiers (Wiley, New York, 1957).Google Scholar
- 14.H.W. Gschwind, Design of Digital Computers (Springer, New York, 1965).Google Scholar
- 15.E.L. Braun, Digital Computer Design (Academic Press, New York and London, 1963).Google Scholar