Determinants of demand and price for best-selling novels in paperback in Japan
- 541 Downloads
This study empirically investigates the factors affecting demand for best-selling novels in paperback, including the relationship with other formats (hardcover and e-book), and the determinants of prices by estimating the demand for paperbacks and price equations. The results show that paperbacks that have hardcover versions with large sales and that are original novels made into movies or television dramas tend to be best sellers. It is also found that expected demand is not a significant determinant of paperback price, whereas the number of pages is a major factor influencing price.
KeywordsPaperback Hardcover Demand Price
This study was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant Number 15k03470. I thank the editors and two anonymous referees for their variable comments.
- Bittlingmayer, G. (1992). The elasticity of demand for books, resale price maintenance and the Lerner index. Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, 148(4), 588–606.Google Scholar
- Impress. (2013). Investigation on electronic publishing usage. Press release dated 19 December 2013. http://www.impressRD.jp/news/131219/NP. Accessed on 10 Jan 2014 (in Japanese).
- Impress. (2014). Report on Electronic Publishing Business 2014. Tokyo: Impress (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Japan Author Promotion Center. (2014). Number of bookstores. http://www.1book.co.jp/001166.html. Accessed on 16 Dec 2014 (in Japanese).
- Li, H. (2013). The impact of ebooks on print book sales: Cannibalization and market expansion. https://bepp.wharton.upenn.edu/bepp/assets/File/huiLi.ebook. Dated 22 January 2013 (last accessed on 1 October 2013).
- Motion Picture Producers Association of Japan. (2014). Outline of motion picture industry, Press release dated 22 January 2014. http://www.eiren.org/toukei/index.html. Accessed on 24 Jan 2014 (in Japanese).
- Oricon Research (2010–2013). Entertainment market report. Tokyo: Oricon Research (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Research Institute for Publications. (2011–2014) Annual Report on the Publication Market 2011–2014. Tokyo (in Japanese).Google Scholar