Broadway productions and the value of a Tony Award
- 279 Downloads
This article investigates the effect of a Tony nomination or win on the demand facing a Broadway production using a panel of weekly revenues for Broadway productions from 1996 to 2007. Our results indicate that the effect of a nomination or win is positive in the week of the announcement and gradually increases in successive weeks, presumably due to publicity and word-of-mouth. Winners experience an increase in demand as late as 1 year later when awards are publicized for the following season. Moreover, nominees that do not win the award are penalized heavily in the weeks following the Award announcements. We find that winning a Tony Award increases a production’s revenues by 12% in the week immediately following the Awards.
KeywordsTheater Broadway Tony Awards Discrete choice
- Adler, M. (1985). Stardom and talent. American Economic Review, 75(1), 208–212.Google Scholar
- American Theatre Wing, http://www.americantheatrewing.org.
- Broadway League, http://www.broadwayleague.com.
- Broadway World International Database, http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwidb.
- Curtain Up, http://www.curtainup.com/mastridx.html.
- Internet Broadway Database, http://www.ibdb.com.
- Isherwood, C. (1998, June 15). Tony Tale: Success is everything. Variety, pp. 111–112.Google Scholar
- Newman, A. (2005, December 29). Broadway’s numbers for 2005 are strong. New York Times, Section E, p. 1.Google Scholar
- Nygren, L. M., & Simonoff, J. S. (2007). Bright lights, big dreams—A case study of factors relating to the success of Broadway shows. Case Studies in Business Industry and Government Statistics, 1(1), 1–14.Google Scholar
- Pincus-Roth, Z. (2008, February 7). Broadway or off-Broadway—Part I. Ask Playbill.com. http://www.playbill.com/features/article/114970.html. Accessed 10 April 2008.
- Playbill.com, http://www.playbill.com.
- Riedel, M. (2004, June 11). It’s Puppetgate! ‘Q’ stiffs road for vegas bucks. The New York Post, p. 43.Google Scholar
- Rosen, S. (1981). The economics of superstars. American Economic Review, 71(5), 845–858.Google Scholar
- Ruud, P. A. (2000). An introduction to classical econometric theory. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Talkin’ Broadway, http://www.talkinbroadway.com/world/past.html.