Polymorphisms of methalenetetrahydrofolate reductase in recurrent pregnancy loss: an overview of systematic reviews and meta-analyses
- 156 Downloads
The aim is to summarize and evaluate current systematic reviews and meta-analyses on MTHFR polymorphisms in recurrent pregnancy loss (RPL).
We searched Pubmed and Embase databases and selected in form of PICOS (participants, interventions, comparisons, outcomes, and study design). Our methodology was registered on PROSPERO (CRD42017042762). Systematic reviews and meta-analyses containing primary studies were extracted for meta-analyses, along with their OR and 95%CI. We assessed the quality of the included studies using AMSTAR and OQAQ criteria.
Eleven systematic reviews and meta-analyses were identified. C677T was significantly related to RPL overall in Allele (OR, 95%CI 1.43, 1.29–1.60), Recessive (OR, 95%CI 1.66, 1.42–1.95), and Homozygous (OR, 95%CI 2.08, 1.66–2.61). There was no correlation observed between A1298C and RPL, except for in Heterozygous (OR, 95%CI 1.62, 1.17–2.25).
We identified a difference in the association between MTHFR C677T polymorphism and RPL, especially in Asian population. No significant correlation was found between A1298C and RPL.
KeywordsRecurrent pregnancy loss (RPL) Methalenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) Polymorphism C677T A1298C Systematic review and meta-analysis
This research is supported by Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University (FCYY201819). The authors are highly grateful to the support of Department of Pharmacy of Peking Union Medical College Hospital.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- 3.Nelen WL, Blom HJ, Steegers EA, den Heijer M, Thomas CM, Eskes TK. Homocysteine and folate levels as risk factors for recurrent early pregnancy loss. J Obstet Gynecol. 2000;95(4):519–24.Google Scholar
- 6.Jr Faggion CM. Critical appraisal of AMSTAR: challenges, limitations, and potential solutions from the perspective of an assessor. J BMC Med Res Methodol 2015;15:63. doi: https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-015-0062-6.
- 7.Delaney A, Bagshaw SM, Ferland A, Laupland K, Manns B, Doig C. The quality of reports of critical care meta-analyses in the Cochrane database of systematic reviews: an independent appraisal. J Crit Care Med. 2007;35(2):589–94. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.Ccm.0000253394.15628.Fd.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Rai V. Methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene A1298C polymorphism and susceptibility to recurrent pregnancy loss: a meta-analysis. J Cell Mol Biol. 2014;60(2):27–34.Google Scholar
- 17.Clement A, Cornet D, Cohen M, Jacquesson L, Amar E, Clement P, et al. Impact of MTHFR iso form C667T on fertility through sperm DNA fragmentation index (DFI) and sperm nucleus decondensation (SDI). J Hum Reprod. 2017;32:i149–i50.Google Scholar
- 19.Cohen H. Inherited thrombophilia and pregnancy loss-epidemiology. J Thromb Res. 2005;115(SUPPL):13–7.Google Scholar
- 21.Rambaldi MP, Mecacci F, Paidas MJ. Evaluation and management of recurrent pregnancy loss. J Placenta. 2011;32:5278.Google Scholar
- 24.Chen J, Chen L, Zhu LH, Zhang ST, Wu YL. Association of methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) C677T polymorphism with preterm delivery and placental abruption: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2016;95(2):157–65. https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs 12789 / (c) 2015 Nordic Federation of Societies of Obstetrics and Gynecology.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Imbard A, Benoist JF, Esse R, Gupta S, Lebon S, de Vriese AS, et al. High homocysteine induces betaine depletion. Biosci Rep. 2015;35(4). https://doi.org/10.1042/bsr20150094.
- 38.Skovierova H, Vidomanova E, Mahmood S, Sopkova J, Drgova A, Cervenova T, et al. The molecular and cellular effect of homocysteine metabolism imbalance on human health. Int J Mol Sci. 2016;17(10). https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms17101733.
- 41.Servy EJ, Jacquesson-Fournols L, Cohen M, Menezo YJR. MTHFR isoform carriers. 5-MTHF (5-methyl tetrahydrofolate) vs folic acid: a key to pregnancy outcome: a case series. J Assist Reprod Genet. 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10815-018-1225-2.
- 44.Xu Y, Ban Y, Ran L, Yu Y, Zhai S, Sun Z, et al. Relationship between unexplained recurrent pregnancy loss and 5,10-methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase polymorphisms. Fertil Steril. 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2018.11.011.
- 45.Govindaiah V, Naushad SM, Prabhakara K, Krishna PC, Radha Rama Devi A. Association of parental hyperhomocysteinemia and C677T methylene tetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) polymorphism with recurrent pregnancy loss. Clin Biochem. 2009;42(4–5):380–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2008.12.003.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 46.Evaluation and treatment of recurrent pregnancy loss: a committee opinion. J Fertil Steril. 2012;98(5):1103–11. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2012.06.048