Brief Report: Trends in U.S. National Autism Awareness from 2004 to 2014: The Impact of National Autism Awareness Month
- First Online:
We sought to evaluate the potential for using historical web search data on autism spectrum disorders (ASD)-related topics as an indicator of ASD awareness. Analysis of Google Trend data suggested that National Autism Awareness Month and televised reports concerning autism are an effective method of promoting online search interest in autism.
KeywordsAutism awareness Web 2.0 Google trends
- ADHD Awareness Month. (2014). http://www.adhdawarenessmonth.org.
- comScore. (2014). comScore Releases December 2013 U.S. Search Engine Rankings. Retrieved 20 March 2014, from http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Press_Releases/2014/1/comScore_Releases_December_2013_US_Search_Engine_Rankings.
- Google Trends Help. (2014). Retrieved 21 March 2014, from https://support.google.com/trends/answer/4355164?rd=1.
- The Oprah Winfrey Show. (2007). Jenny McCarthy and Holly Robinson Peete fight to save their autistic sons. http://www.oprah.com/showinfo/Jenny-McCarthy-and-Holly-Robinson-Peete.
- The Today Show. (2005). Autism—The hidden epidemic? http://www.nbcnews.com/id/6844737/.